Sweating Next to Compression Fitting?

Old 11-30-17, 11:01 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Sweating Next to Compression Fitting?

I am a semi-pro, but would like hear one you real pros opinion. Today I replaced a 1" gate valve with a comp x comp ball valve. I had to sweat a slip coupling right next to the valve. I left the compression nuts loose while soldering and had trouble with a minute leak from the comp fitting next to the sweat joint. Would it have made any difference if I had tightened it first?

Old 11-30-17, 04:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
If the compression rings were brass/metal...... I would doubt that tightening them ahead of time would have made a difference. Sometimes there is a burr in the copper and it takes a little extra tightening for the compression rings to crimp tightly.

Old 11-30-17, 05:25 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Compression joints don't always seal perfectly. To prevent leaks, I wipe a little pipe dope on the inside of the ferrule before sliding it onto the pipe.
I haven't had a leak since I started doing this many years ago. It's also important to not overtighten the nut.

Old 11-30-17, 07:33 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
The quality of imported compression fittings is so poor that I refuse to use them. If you can find good American made fittings they're are worth every penny you pay.

Old 12-01-17, 06:46 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I did not notice the manufacturer or the source. It cost about $40 from my supplier. I share your opinions on threaded imported fittings, but had not previously had probs with compressions. I did disassemble and coat with pipe dope, which reduced the seep to a drop every 2-3 minutes. This was for a neighbor on a sprinkler system, so we'll wait until spring to see if the seep persists.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: