Water Leaking from where main pipe goes into basement floor

Old 12-19-17, 10:23 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Water Leaking from where main pipe goes into basement floor

Getting puddling water when running the shower, seeing small leaks when flushing toilet. Single bathroom is upstairs. This house was built in 1961 and has septic. Not sure if there is somekind of seal where the pipe meets the floor, concrete is brittle and crumbling around pipe.

Guess I need to remove the crumbling concrete and inspect the pipe/connection, if its just the seal there can I just use some hydraulic cement to reseal? Any suggestions or idea of how they sealed before and the best way to seal after repair?

Attached Images  
Old 12-19-17, 10:41 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Septic lines usually go through the wall into the holding tank that is just below the surface. Where is tank and how deep?

Old 12-19-17, 11:29 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Holding tank is 36 feet from the house, was able to determine there is a clog. I can pour water down a drain holde that leads to the holding tank. We can see water running from that drain hole out but not when we flush the toilet and run the shower...that slowly seeps down the pipes and out the house.

Thinking I'm going to try to snake from the cap back to the clogged pipe

Old 12-19-17, 07:28 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
The clog was certainly a problem, but it seems like your cast iron pipe is rusting and failing at or below the ground level. Unfortunately, you're going to have to plan a replacement with PVC, at least for a few feet underground - and likely the whole run.

Even with the clog backup, the joint is bad, and likely the pipe itself isn't doing too well either. You'd know for sure after digging out a bit of the cement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: