Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Best method to clean drain pipes (sewer auger, pressure washer, anything else) ?

Best method to clean drain pipes (sewer auger, pressure washer, anything else) ?

Old 12-24-17, 09:04 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi, I live in a duplex built in the 50's, I move here two years ago and I keep having problems with clog drain pipes. The pipes are in galvanized steel and people are telling me that it always clog after a while. I made some major renovation (two kitchens, one toilet and the whole basement) and I cut a few pipes to change it for ABS. Here's a picture to show you how clog they are... (there's no roots or very solid things, only grease, kitchen food,...)
Since I did a great job to clear or change a few one of them they're a few ones that are unreachable without doing major damages to the house. So... finally .... lol, the question is what would be the best method to clean them out. A plunger drain don't do much, so I was planning about renting a sewer auger and I'm sure it will work but I'm a bit anxious about breaking old pipes. After a few research, I found out that we can use sewer jetters but doesn't find any for rent. I was thinking about buying an electric pressure washer (1900 psi, 1.4 GPM) to do the job with the appropriate nozzle (like "clog hog") and keep to do small stuff after it. Any advice? Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 12-24-17, 12:32 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 894 Votes on 824 Posts
First grease can NEVER go down the drain. Grease it guaranteed to cause a difficult clog and until you get you or your tenants to stop putting grease down the drain this will be a constant, recurring problem.

A powered auger is one of the most common tools for clearing clogs. It is helpful if you can run a head properly sized for your pipes. You don't want to run a 1 1/2" or 2" head through a 4" pipe as it will only clear a portion of the pipe's diameter.

Jetters work very well but I like to use them downstream of the clog. If you come at a clog from the top all the water you are pumping in has to go somewhere. If you approach the clog from the downstream side everything it jets free gets washed away by the flow of water. I have never tried a small electric pressure washer. Even my 3'500 psi 3.5 gpm pressure washer is marginal for jetting and is only suitable for smaller lines.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: