Hose bib making a racket

Old 05-09-01, 06:49 AM
Visiting Guest
The back yard hose bib has some type of anti-siphon spigot (I see a small plunger rise and fall on the top of it). Whenever I use the spigot at a moderate level (like where I need to set it for the sprinklers so I don't water half the neighbor's yard), there is a tremendous noise throughout the house where the pipes run. If I turn it on just a bit or full blast there is no hammering. How can I fix this without tearing apart the wall (the other side of the wall is the family room) and sweating on a new spigot? House was built 11 years ago.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-01, 08:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does it look like this one?

Hammer is cause by excess pressure or loose washers.

Now replacing washer in these faucet are not that easy, I usally just replace them.

If the plumber secured the adaptor correcty in the wall this faucet should unscrew without opening up the inside wall, if you want to just replace it.

Make sure you shut water off to house before working on this valve.

To try and replace the washer, unscrew the packing nut on back side of handle, the unscrew the stem, this will be a long stem, becareful not to destroy the packing, you need it to reinstall the stem.

Now before you try one of these methods, is the faucet secure to the wall? If it's not, secure it 1st, see if that stops all the racket. I came across one once, it was not secure to outside wall, turned it on and there was noise throughout the house, secured it, and the noise did halt.

Ron

Old 05-09-01, 10:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the advice. I'm not sure if it's secured to the wall, I'll check it this evening. The spigot does not have a cap like the picture, but a small fitting flush with contour. There's a small ~ 1/8" piston that moves and sometimes squirts water. Also, it can't be as long as your picture since it is on the exterior wall about two feet above the sill plate, far away from the adjoining wall. I'm on a slab and from the noise I've deduced that the plumbing runs up the wall and through the ceiling, so it's probably only a few inches long before it's connected to a 90 deg fitting.

Old 05-09-01, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does it look like this one?

If so try to replace the washer in it, see if that will fix it.