Bleeding a Cast Iron Radiator with No Bleeder Valve

Old 12-26-17, 06:53 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Bleeding a Cast Iron Radiator with No Bleeder Valve

I am having an issue with a single cast iron radiator where it is not heating up at all. All other radiators are working fine in the apartment. A lot of people suggest bleeding the radiator, however, I can't seem to find any bleeder valve on this kind of cast iron radiator. I have attached a few pictures. Is there any other way I can bleed this radiator of the air that is inside it? I have already replaced the air vent valve but that didn't seem to help with anything. Thank you!

Old 12-26-17, 07:02 AM
W
Received 31 Votes on 28 Posts
Is the valve open where the pipe comes up out of the floor?

Old 12-26-17, 06:09 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
That is a steam radiator and you do not manually vent steam radiators. Put a carpenter's level on the top and see if it is dead level or slightly pitched so the end with the air vent is just slightly higher. Then check the valve as noted by Wirepuller. The valve MUST be fully open for heat and fully closed for no heat. Do not try to control the heat by partially opening or closing the valve.

It is possible the "disc" inside the valve has come loose from the "stem" and is not allowing the condensate to drain and also keeping the steam from entering.

Old 12-30-17, 12:11 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
That vent looks awfully low -- I believe it should be higher up. I can't be sure but it looks like there may be an 1/8" plug closer to the top.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: