Connecting dehumidifier discharge to sewer..

Old 01-04-18, 09:57 AM
_
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting dehumidifier discharge to sewer..

Hi!

Haven't posted here in a while, but need to tap into community knowledge again.

I want to connect dehumidifier drain pipe to my sewer line. Conveniently I have a capped sewer connection right where I need it (see the pic).

The least I need to do (I believe) is build a air/water trap. The cap is 4", so what would be the easiest way to accomplish this?

I was thinking about going to HD and playing with all the PVC pieces I can find there, but maybe someone here can help me out before I go there..

Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 01-04-18, 11:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
First, be aware that if the sewer clogs this drain location could be where all the sewage escapes. So, while convenient it does have some risk.

One option is to cut off the threaded fitting and glue on a sanitary T. Install a clean out cap on the top so you retain your clean out capability. Then on the side reduce down and install a trap. Then make something to hold your drain line above the lip of the pipe/trap, maybe a sink dishwasher fitting. You do NOT want the drain hose to ever be in water (don't just shove the hose into the trap). There must be an air gap to prevent sewage or water from siphoning down your hose.

Old 01-04-18, 11:54 AM
_
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply. Good point on potential sewage escape possibility.

I don't want to cut off the threaded part in case something goes wrong or want to put everything back the way it was. Plus it's pretty tight there..

So I will try to make it work with threaded fittings if I can... Maybe not..

Thanks

Old 01-05-18, 09:53 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
You can do what Pilot Dane mentioned without even cutting out the threaded adapter. Just get a 4" male threaded adapter, to a 4x4x1.5 Sanitary Tee. Come out of the tee to a trap, then a standpipe 18" up. On the top side of the 4" tee, add a new female threaded adapter and a plug. Use pipe dope on the threaded connections.

Your dehumidifier will need to go on a table or shelf, but it can then drain directly into the standpipe. I wouldn't do anything shorter - the higher it is, the less likely you'll have issues with a sewer backflow issue.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: