Leaking Pipe Connected to Main Water Meter

Old 01-21-18, 08:06 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Post Leaking Pipe Connected to Main Water Meter

Good Afternoon, I've attached a pic showing the leaking galvanized pipe fitting, (slip nut fitting) connected to the main water meter in my home. It started off as a drip that turned into a slow leak, not sure how to resolve.
I looked on the NYC water and protection website for support, but their website suggests that the property owner is responsible for all incoming and outgoing water main and sewerage lines. Would really appreciate your suggestions. Thank you!

Attached Images  
Old 01-21-18, 08:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Very unlikely the city would offer any help there. The problem is when the pipes get old and rusted.... when you mess with one thing.... another starts to leak.

It is possible that the fitting just needs to be tightened a little more.

Is that leaky fitting on the incoming side of the water meter ?
It looks like there may be a shut off to the left of the picture. There may be two shut offs.... one on either side of the meter.

Old 01-22-18, 05:44 AM
A
2nd Pic for Leaking Pipe

Thanks for the welcome and your response! I've attached a pipe with a bird's eye view, showing the incoming line and the surrounding valves. The nut is stuck, it's been there since 1940 and probably hasn't moved since then. I will purchase a larger wrench, with more leverage to see if can move it.

Thanks/ Addanis

Attached Images  
Old 01-22-18, 07:02 AM
S
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Might be a good idea to "exercise" that shut-off valve before using the "larger wrench". Always a good idea to have a backup plan!
Good luck- Steve

Old 01-22-18, 06:40 PM
A
I was able to loosen the slip nut and re-seat it. So far, the leak stopped. Thank you all for responding to my request for help. It's appreciated!

Addanis

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: