Air lock in condensate pump output

Old 01-31-18, 12:52 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Air lock in condensate pump output

I installed a whole house steam humidifier. It has a drain that occasionally drains out it's steam generating container. I have the drain piped in to the condensate pump on the furnace.

I live in the Northeast. I had a minor flood out of the condensation pump overnight and found the tube on the outside to be frozen. I cleared that up, used the hair dryer and got it flowing again.

The output tube runs out of the pump, up to the ceiling, across the top of the ceiling, and down about 6 feet then out the wall outside. The issue I am having is that when the pump stops running, there is still water in the entire tube. It doesn't drain the reservoir completely. I am guessing this is by design so the pump doesn't get airlocked?

So there is still some water left in the tube right up until the point where it exits the basement to go outside. So this water is freezing up pretty easily. There are bubbles collecting at the top of the tube near the exterior wall.

I think I need a way to introduce some air at the top of the tube, so the water left over in the vertical part of the tube can flow outside instead of being air locked in the tube. Is that what I need, if so what should I be looking for?

Thanks

Old 01-31-18, 07:33 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 178 Votes on 159 Posts
Typically you'd do an air gap setup. The tube from the pump would go up as high as it can go (and towards the outside of the house), then it would drain into a larger pipe. The larger pipe would have an air gap at the top (being a bigger pipe, air could get in around the smaller pipe), then the remainder of that pipe will drain.

It doesn't mean it won't or can't freeze, but it would at least all drain out.

Old 01-31-18, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,412 Votes on 1,306 Posts
I am guessing this is by design so the pump doesn't get airlocked?
No.... it's to keep the water from draining back into the sump.
There is a check valve inside the sump.

Old 02-01-18, 07:11 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I am debating whether to dump the tube in to my sump (there is no pump, it gravity drains) or set up the air gap. I am leaning toward sump - seems like I won't have to worry about it as much.

With the air gap setup, if there is a clog at the output of the house due to freezing or whatever, then I am going to have a mess at the air gap, right? If I drain it in to the sump pit, I still need the air gap, right?

Old 02-01-18, 09:00 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,412 Votes on 1,306 Posts
Yes.... it it freezes closed at outside...... it will come out inside the house.

If you drain it to a sump pit you need do nothing.
The hose is discharging into an open pit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: