Stripped Shower Handle Screw

Old 02-13-18, 12:52 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stripped Shower Handle Screw

I, like a complete idiot, completely stripped the screw that secures the shower handle into the valve. To make matters worse, the handle is now stuck without the back plate in place.

I had a plumber come out who recommended opening the wall behind the valve and replacing the entire valve/handle for ~$650. The wall is in the master closet behind a built-in and not visible, so that's one thing that idea has going for it. The house/valve is 10 years old.

Wondering if anyone has any ideas to either:
  • Get the cover back on and just leave the faucet handle stuck / stripped but still usable. There is a lip it cannot fit over and I could not find any 'adjustable' covers online.
  • Get the handle off without having to cut into it.
I did some research and found recommendations of using screw extractors as a potential way to extract stripped screws, but the plumber didn't see that as an option when I mentioned it. He did not really explain why, however.

Thank you for any advice!

Attached Images   
Old 02-13-18, 01:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Leaving handle as is is one option but I would get one of these first. 2nd row, 3rd in is a single I would try
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Screw-extra...crew+extractor
If that doesn't work drill the head off screw and remove handle. Use pliers to remove rest of screw. Get a brass screw to replace.

Old 02-26-18, 07:04 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Just wanted to follow up on this and say that Grabit #1 did not work, however Grabit #2 did the trick! Thank you so much for leading me in that direction and helping me avoid something more involved.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: