Toilet wasting water

Old 02-16-18, 09:35 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toilet wasting water

Hello friends! This weekend's in the toilet!!

I would really appreciate some help with this. It may be one issue, or more than one issue.

Picture 1 shows constant water draining down the back of the bowl and into the toilet. The amount of the dripping/draining varies, but it is constant. (For some reason, it does not cause the bowl to overflow. The excess water sounds like it goes down the main drain and out the house).

Picture 2 shows the tank. I'm holding a white stick to a black piece (cap/plug?) that I can hear leaking. When I press down on it with the stick, I no longer hear leaking.

Picture 3 shows a part that very often, but not always, has frequent drops coming from under the yellow piece.

And, for whatever it's worth, when I run the kitchen or bathroom sink, the tank ball of the toilet bounces up and down!

So, please be so kind as to tell me what is going on with this (besides all the water being wasted), and what needs tightening, loosening, cleaning, or repairing/replacing? Thank you!

Attached Images    
Old 02-17-18, 02:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Looks like you are holding down the flapper. just replace it and make sure the seat is clean when you do. Less than 10$ for part at any hardware store,

Old 02-17-18, 09:14 AM
Z
Received 121 Upvotes on 112 Posts
As pugsi says the flappers are cheap. But I would clean the bottom of that flapper (that’s the black part you pushed down on with your stick) off really well and also make sure the chain connected from the toilet handle mechanism to the top of the flapper is not too long or too short.

If it’s too short the chain can actually be holding the flapper up just a tiny bit and you will get a leak from the tank down through the flapper and into the bowl.

If the chain is too long it can get caught under the flapper and so not allow the flapper to seat properly and in that case you also get a leak from the tank down through the flapper and into the bowl.

I can’t tell from the pic but it looks like maybe the chain is caught under the flapper because it’s too long. But I’m not sure at all from the pic.

Old 02-17-18, 07:11 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much, guys. I tried cleaning the flapper, but to no avail. It was actually in clean shape. The chain is positioned fine. The flapper must have warped over time.

I'm purchasing the flapper and installing it. I'll report back. Thanks!

And if this doesn't resolve it, I believe I would then need to repair or replace the flapper seat/seal, correct?

Old 02-18-18, 06:53 AM
Z
Received 121 Upvotes on 112 Posts
If a new flapper doesn’t do it then I guess the only other thing to do is replace it all as you say. But I think you are right, some of those flappers get stiff and warp over time. I’m pretty sure that has happened to me in the past.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: