Removing stuck shut off valve

Old 02-17-18, 01:57 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing stuck shut off valve

Hello All,

I have a compression fitting shut off valve under a sink that is 30+ years old and starting to drip out the back. I turned the water off at the street and released the pressure in the system, but even with two wrenches on it pushing in opposite directions, I've been unable to turn the compression nut to remove the valve (I've had success with it's neighbor on the hot water side). Yes, I'm trying to turn the nut counter-clockwise and the valve clockwise.

The valve will turn in place with just one wrench. With two, I just end up making a lot of grunting noises (me grunting, not the pipes). Since it is under the sink, I can't get any larger wrenches on it. It looks like maybe it is a little corroded around the compression nut, or made the plumber used something to seal it in addition to the compression fitting.

I'm nervous that if I cut the pipe, I won't have enough pipe left for the new valve.

Any tips or suggestions on how to remove this old valve?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
Stephen

Old 02-17-18, 02:04 PM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
If your wrenches are on the smaller side, it is difficult to get good leverage sometimes. Try this, as the valve turns, get one wrench to rotate until it touches a pipe or the side of the cabinet so that it is solid and stationary. Put the other wrench on at this point and hit the end of the wrench handle with a hammer. Should only take one of two hits to free the valve. Use this technique to remove bolts when changing brakes on my vehicle to get the calipers off and there is no way to use a cheater bar.

Old 02-17-18, 02:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 990 Votes on 901 Posts
Only suggestion I would have is bigger wrenches.

Old 02-18-18, 01:51 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 181 Posts
Heat can sometimes help loosen nuts too. A propane torch for a few minutes to heat it up could loosen whatever is holding it so tightly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: