Motorized ball valves - controller help

Old 02-20-18, 04:08 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 22
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Motorized ball valves - controller help

Hi - we have a cabin that we use all four seasons. When we are there in the winter, we need to go into the crawl space, close the main lines and turn on the water. When we leave we open the mains and drain all the pipes into a corrugated drain line that goes outdoors.

We're looking to speed up the process, so the task of using the house is easier. It would be great to not need to enter the crawl space.

I am looking at motorized ball valves, which would allow me to open and close the main drains from above. However I can't figure out how to set up a controller. Does anyone have advice on valves and how to configure a controller for this type of application?
Old 02-20-18, 08:12 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 62,522
Received 3,485 Upvotes on 3,128 Posts
A bunch of cool valves on amazon.

You need to pick the physical size. Then you want one valve that is "power to open"..... or normally closed for the water main. Then you need a valve that is "power to close." or normally open.

This way.... the main valve is closed with no power and the drain(s) is open with no power. This would be the "no power" default.

Once you find the valves you like... the control part can just be a basic toggle switch.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: