Need advice on how to connect toilet flange

Old 02-26-18, 11:48 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need advice on how to connect toilet flange

Hello everyone,

Can anyone help? I just had a toilet start leaking around the base, removed it and realized that there's nothing left for the flange to be bolted to, just a drain pipe. The prior 4" flange (plastic) was extremely loose, causing the issue. Some wood has rotted out on either side, I'd prefer not to have to rip up the whole floor unless absolutely necessary. Any workable temporary solution is fine by me.

There's no obvious place for me to bolt the flange, just the cast metal drain pipe sticking straight upwards. It's about 4 inches from the opening.

Here's a photo.

If I add a cast iron closet flange will I be able to bolt the toilet to that alone securely?

If anyone has advice, I'm all ears.
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-18, 03:17 PM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 10,949
Received 716 Upvotes on 637 Posts
If the wood is rotted, you need to replace the floor. It must have been leaking for awhile is the wood is rotted away. No cannot just bolt the toilet to the flange. The flange must be anchored to a solid floor. I would also check the condition of the floor joist supporting the floor.
Old 02-26-18, 07:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 6,066
Received 416 Upvotes on 369 Posts
You can get a cast iron repair flange. It basically goes into the iron pipe and uses a rubber gasket to make the connection.

But as Norm mentioned, regardless what flange you get, it needs to be bolted/screwed to the floor and joists. The pipe itself won't support the toilet and you'll end up breaking the iron pipe or cracking the joint to the stack.

Can you access the ceiling below with just some drywall work? If so, you could cut a hole and add some 2x4 or 2x6 bracing around the bend, attached to the floor/ceiling joists to screw your new flange to. Some drywall repair might be easier than re-tiling the floor.
Old 02-26-18, 08:01 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 64,639
Received 3,898 Upvotes on 3,494 Posts
That looks like oriented strand sub-flooring. Basically wood chips pressed together with glue. If that's what you have it looses most all of it's integrity and strength when it gets wet.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: