Is 3/4" Pex overkill?

Old 03-01-18, 03:12 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is 3/4" Pex overkill?

I am redoing my old 1/2" underground single home run copper pipe with Pex. I am going to be using a manilfold in the garage and run branches to each wet area. Kitchen, master bathroom, guest bathroom, laundry, outside faucets. I was planning on running 1/2" to everything except the bathrooms. There I would run 3/4" pex to the bathrooms and tee off to 1/2" to the sinks and toilets while continuing to the shower with 3/4". I am wanting to minimize water pressure drop to the shower when sink or toilet is used. Is this over kill? Does anyone have 1/2" the bathrooms and have water pressure drops like i'm describing?

skeeter

Old 03-01-18, 04:01 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 895 Votes on 825 Posts
I most often run 3/4" trunk lines and each fixture T's off with 1/2" and it works well. I have also done 3/4" feeding a manifold and each fixture gets a 1/2" line and that works well. One thing I have never seen is using a manifold and then running a trunk line off it and Teeing off of that but your plan sounds like it would work.

Old 03-01-18, 04:06 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The manifold is there because i would like to be able to shut off the water to an individual room if I needed to and also i am renovating my house one room at a time and slowly changing over the plumbing to all Pex.

skeeter

Old 03-03-18, 03:15 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 197 Votes on 177 Posts
There's nothing wrong with upsizing your bathroom run to 3/4", but 1/2" should work fine. Remember your sink and toilet are connected through a 3/8" valve and flexible pipe anyway. And the newer temperature/pressure balancing shower faucets eliminate a lot of the cold/hot showers people used to have.

The only downside of 3/4" is that it takes about twice as long for hot water to get to the bathroom. In a smaller house, a few seconds isn't a huge deal. In larger houses, it can take a while.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: