One-Way Check Valve

Old 03-03-18, 12:53 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 156
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
One-Way Check Valve

If you're not familiar, this Wikipedia article explains the basics of check valves:

The images show common examples of check valves in unpressurized and
pressurized systems. A toilet tank flush valve flapper and a water pump.

I'd like to add a check valve to a 1-1/2" sink drain. The question is, are there
check valves that will open from the flow of water going down a sink drain?
The only pressure on the mechanism would be a few ounces of water. A very
sensitive spring, ball float, or some other method I can't imagine is required.

The drain pipe is brass with chrome plating. A check valve that fits the 1-1/2"
drain would be great, but a larger diameter pvc or brass valve would be ok too.
I can build almost any kind of basic pipe adapter in my shop.

You may be wondering why I need a check valve. If you can help me find the
right valve I'll explain.

Thanks guys.
Attached Images   
Old 03-03-18, 01:39 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 62,535
Received 3,485 Upvotes on 3,128 Posts
There are none that I'm aware of.

You'd need some type of floating ball system.
Something along this line..... Wager Co. Inc. - 2100 Mushroom Check Valve
Old 03-03-18, 01:46 PM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 10,660
Received 676 Upvotes on 599 Posts
You may be wondering why I need a check valve. If you can help me find the
right valve I'll explain.
Perhaps if you answer this question first we may be better able to help you.
Old 03-03-18, 06:17 PM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 16,321
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
With only one exception that I can think of ALL check valves are one-way. To the best of my knowledge they do not make check valves for most individual fixture drains, floor drains being the only exceptions to that I am aware of. They DO make a type of check valve for main sewer drains called a backwater valve but they are only used when there is a significant probability of a sewer running backwards.
Old 03-16-18, 11:56 PM
steve_gro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 967
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Perhaps I don't understand what you're asking for. Wouldn't a spring-check do what you're looking for? You might have to fiddle with the spring a bit to get it right. I'm sure you can get them in 1-1/2".


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: