Manabloc compression or crimp at manifold?

Old 03-08-18, 11:46 AM
Manabloc compression or crimp at manifold?

I am looking for your opinions on what is the best pex tubing attachment method to connect to the Manabloc manifold. I am considering two styles. The compression fitting which uses a ferrel and inner stiffing tube or the crimp on which uses the normal pex crimp ring onto a fitting you attach to the manifold.

Which do you guys favor? Any first hand experiences?

skeeter

Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-18, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Depending on how much you need to do I would look at the cost per connection.

Old 03-08-18, 10:28 PM
Well the manifold with crimp connectors is about $20.00 less. I am more worried about whether the compression connectors have any leaking problems. Especially long term.

skeeter

Old 03-09-18, 05:41 AM
Group Moderator
I have never had any problem with connections leaking with any method. So, it comes down to the cost of the rings and tools. One benefit to the cinch rings is that one tool can do all size piping while the copper compression rings require a crimper for each size of pipe but both methods are relatively inexpensive. The pipe expansion method can get expensive on tools and requires a tool or dies for each size pipe. The compression and push fit connections don't require any special tools but the fittings are more expensive and personally I don't know how well the push fit fittings will last for the long term as most only have a single rubber O ring for forming the seal.

Old 03-09-18, 09:40 AM
The cinch rings while I am sure are ok seem a little cheap to me. I am in the automotive industry and I never really liked them for any really uniform sealing around a hose. Just a personal thing I guess.

The compression fittings by Viega seem a bit expensive and like you said require a different tool for each size.

The compression couplers that fit on to the Manabloc seem ok also but just don't give me that secure long term feeling. I have dealt with similar type fittings on my RO Machines, although way cheaper versions than Viega, for decades and they do have problems sealing and staying sealed.

The pipe expansion method seems great but the tools are WAY $$ out there for the DIY'er like me. I will probably do my one house in my lifetime maybe two so it's not worth the investment.

So I guess it boils down to the crimp ring method for me. The rings are cheap. One tool can have interchangeable bits to fit the different sizes and it seams almost foolproof. Sometimes I need that.

skeeter

Old 03-09-18, 11:06 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't had the opportunity to try all the options, but the copper crimp ring has worked easily and reliably for me for quite some time. The only failed connection I had was the one time I forgot to crimp the connection. Doh! Can't really blame the system for that.

I also like the crimp option as materials are available just about everywhere nowadays.