Sizing a Pressure reducing valve

Old 03-29-18, 02:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sizing a Pressure reducing valve

My water pressure fluctuates between 75 and 95psi in about 15 seconds during the day. No water running in the house. You can hear the water heater popping as it expands and contracts. I'm tired of worrying about something breaking, so have decided to install a PRV.
My incoming water line is 3/4 copper and I am looking at a Cash Acme EB-25 that has sharkbite connectors on each end. Since that is the size of the sharkbites, I assume that would be the correct one. There are two of us living in a 2000 sqft house. Your opinions please before I buy it. The only negative I see is the price of the repair cartridge.

Old 03-29-18, 02:44 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 431 Votes on 385 Posts
I'm a painter not a plumber but I always bought the same size PRV as the pipe it would connect to. Have you tried adjusting yours any?

Old 03-29-18, 04:35 PM
V
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I was thinking that you are in the market for a Pressure Relief Valve (PRV) ; but your pressures seem to already be well in excess of the household pressures that they are intended to control.

Old 03-29-18, 05:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,619 Votes on 1,491 Posts
PRV's can withstand fairly high incoming water pressures. The EB-25 the OP is looking at is rated for 300psi maximum input. Looks like a pretty good valve. I agree the cartridge is a little pricey but I doubt it's going to need routine replacement.

cash acme/wp-content/uploads//EB25_Spec_2014.pdf

Old 04-02-18, 10:35 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 206 Votes on 184 Posts
Any standard PRV will work for you.

While you're at it, get yourself a pressure gauge and consider adding a hose connection there to attach the pressure gauge - so everything is in one place to set and test the PRV.

You'll likely also need a small expansion tank. As water is heated, it will expand, and would increase your piping pressure without the addition of a tank.

Good idea though with those high pressure readings.

Old 05-18-18, 06:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Finally installed the pressure regulator valve, works great! I did have to install a expansion tank as recommended. Biggest problem was the incoming line from the street was directly behind the water heater, so I had to unhook that and route the lines over a couple of feet. Thanks for your help

Old 05-20-18, 04:28 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 206 Votes on 184 Posts
Glad to hear it worked out! Projects always seem to end up more complicated than initially planned, but great that you figured it out!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: