PVC vs slip compression fittings?

Old 04-09-18, 03:52 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
PVC vs slip compression fittings?

I'm wondering what the difference is between using say all PVC and cement to make a p trap versus what you find in HD in the p trap kits they sell.

Could I technically just make a p trap and drain entirely of cemented joints and fittings and plain 1 1/2 PVC tubing?

Why would someone choose to do that verse using all slip joint compression fittings for example?

Also, how come the Everbilt brand p trap kit doesn't have a cleanout under the p trap?

Should I have a clean out under the trap?

Old 04-09-18, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
What happens if a ring goes down there? Or it just gets clogged badly? Or you need to easily access the fitting in the wall. Easy to take it apart by hand if slip fittings, PITA if it's all glued. Plus, to glue it, you better be pretty much dead nuts on, very little play for minor misalignment when putting those together.

Old 04-09-18, 07:04 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
What Vic says. In Spades! All cemented traps are a quick and cheap way of plumbing a large tract of homes or buildings. Not sure if code allows it in all areas.

Old 04-09-18, 07:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Slip joint traps do not need a clean out because they can easily be disassembled, snaked, dumped out, etc. A glued trap needs a clean out or it would be impossible to clean. No idea why anyone would ever glue a trap that is under a sink. Laundry or shower... sure, because they aren't accessible. Sinks, no.

You can glue up your own trap but if you get the wrong fittings you would probably create an s-trap... (not legal) when you really need a p-trap.

Old 04-10-18, 02:50 AM
B
Ok, thanks, I was just wondering I'm not thinking of doing it lol.

Is there any difference between using 1 1/2 PVC for pipe verse say a 1 1/2 "extension tube" ?

Why do I always look under sinks, especially commercial type, and see more 1 1/2 PVC pipe than anything else?

Is it because they can cut it to lengths they need in big buildings and stuff?

Old 04-10-18, 03:38 AM
I don't know why you look under sinks (you might want to consult your therapist about that) .

PVC is cheaper and much better than metal. It does not corrode and is less likely to clog and easier to work with. I always try to convince my customers who come in with corroded sink traps to go to plastic. I tell them it gets slippery inside and will less likely clog.

Old 04-10-18, 03:20 PM
B
lol. Is the little kits you get in HD Brand Everbilt PVC? Or is that something else?

Old 04-10-18, 03:28 PM
Most likely it's PVC or ABS (thin wall).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: