Washing machine box - below counter or above?

Old 04-15-18, 10:16 PM
Washing machine box - below counter or above?

We are remodelling our laundry/furnace room where I have to run plumbing for the washing machine drain and also the water supply lines for the washing machine. My question is can we have the washer box (recessed white box that houses the taps and drain pipe for the washing machine) below the counter top or do we have to have it above the counter? If it has to be above the counter I will have to cut the counter top for the water lines and drain pipe... it would be nice to have it out of sight if possible.

Comments anyone?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-18, 03:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
No reason not to but below counter. I repaired washers for many years and have seen them there. Only problem is connections when installing and if a hose breaks almost impossible to shut off water.
PS repair men hate them there.

Old 04-16-18, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
IMO it looks better below although it is handier above.

Old 04-16-18, 03:46 AM
The proper thing to do is install this type of enclosure.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...23961846917096

Old 04-16-18, 07:17 AM
Wherever you install it, make sure it's high enough to create the necessary trap for the discharge hose into the drain. Personally I like mine above the top of the washer. It makes the valves a lot easier to access when the need arises-which it will!

Old 04-16-18, 08:29 AM
Group Moderator
Why is there a counter? I'm not picturing it. A washer/dryer won't fit under a standard height countertop.

Old 04-16-18, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
Why is there a counter? I'm not picturing it. A washer/dryer won't fit under a standard height countertop.
I plan to have the counter top over our washer dryer (we have the front loading HE washer and dryer). The washer/dryer is 38" high so I'm thinking with the thickness of the counter top the counter height will be about 41" instead of the standard 36"...

Old 04-16-18, 03:28 PM
Another bit of needed information, our Samsung washer manual says we can have a standpipe anywhere from 18" to 96"...

Old 04-16-18, 03:30 PM
Group Moderator
I see. The wash box can be below your countertop, but the higher the better. Most people want to be able to access the shutoff in the event of an emergency leak. If your wash box is hidden behind, you won't be able to get to it easily. But if you're OK with it I am. Maybe if you centered it between the washer/dryer and then left enough space to get a hand in there...

Old 04-16-18, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
IMO it looks better below although it is handier above.
I agree... I don't want to cut through the counter top unless necessary...

Old 04-17-18, 07:56 AM
How high may the water level inside the machine get for the largest allowable load? For a top loader that level could be approximately at the rim of the round tub or drum or basket into which you drop the clothes. It is better for the wall box with the drain pipe to be above that level. This way, as the machine gets older and the valve leading to the drain hose gets worn, you would not lose water to the drain all through the cycle, effectively limiting the washer to smaller loads.