Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Reuse Compression Fitting?

WA

04-16-18, 11:01 PM   #1  
Reuse Compression Fitting?

hi all,

i just recently installed a quarter turn angle valve (compression fitting) for the dishwasher supply line. unfortunately it's way too low for the new base cabinet. i would have to cut out a huge chunk of the base cabinet back wall and floor. if i re-route i can minimize the amount of the cabinet floor i have to cut out.

my question is:

how do you guys feel about re-using the angle valve since it's brand new IF i use a new brass compression sleeve/ferrule on brand NEW copper pipe?

i've had one experience before where i tried to install an angle valve w/ a compression fitting where the old valve was (there wasn't a lot of copper pipe to work with) and it leaked albeit slowly. i assumed it was because the copper pipe where the compression took place was no longer the same or maybe it was damaged when the sleeve/ferrule was removed.

thanks for any input!

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

CANADA

04-17-18, 03:37 AM   #2  
Perfectly acceptable to reuse any compression fitting with a new ferrule.

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

PA

04-17-18, 07:32 AM   #3  
i assumed it was because the copper pipe where the compression took place was no longer the same or maybe it was damaged when the sleeve/ferrule was removed.
I bet that's right. I think you are supposed to cut the copper pipe back a little when you reuse the same pipe. At least I think that's the case.

MI

04-17-18, 08:32 AM   #4  
The pipe can get deformed so yes good idea to install on virgin pipe!

WA

04-17-18, 06:33 PM   #5  
thanks guys! i was able to reuse the angle valve with a new ferrule on virgin pipe. almost bought the 1/2 inch ferrule but then noticed it was OD (outside diameter?). the 5/8 ferrule worked great on 1/2" copper pipe. no leaks!

Search this Thread