Reuse Compression Fitting?

Old 04-16-18, 11:01 PM
Question Reuse Compression Fitting?

hi all,

i just recently installed a quarter turn angle valve (compression fitting) for the dishwasher supply line. unfortunately it's way too low for the new base cabinet. i would have to cut out a huge chunk of the base cabinet back wall and floor. if i re-route i can minimize the amount of the cabinet floor i have to cut out.

my question is:

how do you guys feel about re-using the angle valve since it's brand new IF i use a new brass compression sleeve/ferrule on brand NEW copper pipe?

i've had one experience before where i tried to install an angle valve w/ a compression fitting where the old valve was (there wasn't a lot of copper pipe to work with) and it leaked albeit slowly. i assumed it was because the copper pipe where the compression took place was no longer the same or maybe it was damaged when the sleeve/ferrule was removed.

thanks for any input!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-18, 03:37 AM
Super Moderator
Perfectly acceptable to reuse any compression fitting with a new ferrule.

Old 04-17-18, 07:32 AM
i assumed it was because the copper pipe where the compression took place was no longer the same or maybe it was damaged when the sleeve/ferrule was removed.
I bet that's right. I think you are supposed to cut the copper pipe back a little when you reuse the same pipe. At least I think that's the case.

Old 04-17-18, 08:32 AM
The pipe can get deformed so yes good idea to install on virgin pipe!

Old 04-17-18, 06:33 PM
thanks guys! i was able to reuse the angle valve with a new ferrule on virgin pipe. almost bought the 1/2 inch ferrule but then noticed it was OD (outside diameter?). the 5/8 ferrule worked great on 1/2" copper pipe. no leaks!