Bonded ground of buried Gas Flex line

Old 04-21-18, 06:40 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Bonded ground of buried Gas Flex line

I have an above ground propane tank 135 feet from my home, with a buried 3/4 inch Gax Flex line running between the two. Should I bond the gas line to the grounding rod that the electric meter uses next to the house, or put a grounding rod where the propane tank is and bond there or at both the house and propane tank????

Would grounding at both the house and propane tank add extra protection or be a no-no????

Thanks!

Old 04-21-18, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Your gas line is likely grounded already through your gas appliances, connecting it to the ground rod, or adding a ground rod is likely not needed or it would be required by the NEC. In fact, bonding the gas ling to a ground rod would encourage lighting strikes (the reason for the ground rod) to travel over the gas line which would not be a good idea IMO.

Old 04-21-18, 07:02 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
I should add the "instructions" for the Gas Flex said it must be grounded at the connection point. I have no idea why.

BTW, Thanks for the reply.

Old 04-21-18, 07:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 737 Posts
By "flex" are your referring to CSST? IF it is, make sure it is rated to be direct buried. In my area it is common to use soft copper for underground runs from the propane tank to the house.

Old 04-22-18, 06:50 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Typically gas pipe grounding is a local issue. Some locales require it, some forbid it, and some are ok with bonding occurring via the furnace/appliances.

But CSST is required by the manufacturer to be bonded, which trumps local codes (since all local codes will say "install via manufacturer instructions".

So you'll need to use a 6 or 8ga copper wire from the electrical panel to a solid gas pipe or CSST fitting.
I wouldn't connect it to the existing ground rod, nor would I add any new ground rods. The best place to connect is the ground bar in your electrical panel. (this is all IF you're using CSST. I don't know the requirements for other flex piping methods)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: