outdoor faucet leaking from handle when turned on

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-18, 12:23 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking sprinkler backflow shutoff valve

Fist-time homeowners and did not turn the water off at the shutoff valve inside before winter + forgot to blowout the lines - in Minnesota! Now the sprinkler system has leaks - do not know where. Also the Backflow preventer is cracked and so is the shutoff valve underneath it. See photo.

The shutoff valve leaks even when closed.

We will wait to find/repair the sprinkler leaks (we did not use it last year anyways) probably alongside a bigger landscaping project. So for now I am looking for a temporal fix to the shutoff valve leak for the next few years.

My question is: is it safe to just remove the backflow preventer & valves and plug both pipes? (the one going into the house and the plastic one going into the ground?) Will that survive winters? Unfortunately I cannot simply turn the water off at the shutoff valve inside all year round because i need another outdoor faucet. Really bad there is no separate inside shutoff valve just for the sprinkler system.

Attached Images  

Last edited by alfonsocp; 05-10-18 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Wrong title
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-18, 04:46 AM
Received 253 Votes on 227 Posts
Try tightening the gland nut (the nut just below the valve stem) about a quarter turn. If that does not stop the leak then it needs repacking.

Old 05-10-18, 09:07 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks - sorry actually I messed up with the title of the post. My concern is the cracked shutoff valve in the photo. I started a new thread with proper title.

https://www.doityourself.com/forum/p...ml#post2702480

Closed Thread