Broken sprinkler backflow shutoff valve

Old 05-10-18, 09:01 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Broken sprinkler backflow shutoff valve

Fist-time homeowners and did not turn the water off at the shutoff valve inside before winter + forgot to blowout the lines - in Minnesota! Now the sprinkler system has leaks - do not know where. Also the Backflow preventer is cracked and so is the shutoff valve underneath it. See photo.

The shutoff valve leaks even when closed.

We will wait to find/repair the sprinkler leaks (we did not use it last year anyways) probably alongside a bigger landscaping project. So for now I am looking for a temporal fix to the shutoff valve leak for the next few years.

My question is: is it safe to just remove the backflow preventer & valves and plug both pipes? (the one going into the house and the plastic one going into the ground?) Will that survive winters? Unfortunately I cannot simply turn the water off at the shutoff valve inside all year round because i need another outdoor faucet. Really bad there is no separate inside shutoff valve just for the sprinkler system.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-18, 10:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Yes just cut them out. Cap is not necessary on white pipe except to keep dirt out. I would not even glue it on if you put one on. When you cut copper make sure water is off and open lower hose bib..Be sure to install cap in that pipe. Cut pipe as close to siphon valve so you have room to cap it.

Old 05-10-18, 11:43 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Awesome - thanks much! And yes for the PVC pipe I will put something simple to keep off dirt.

Old 05-12-18, 08:37 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 132 Votes on 122 Posts
I'd suggest a SharkBite cap. Easy to install and easy to remove when the time comes.