Hot Water Heater Insulation

Old 05-15-01, 07:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi,

I'd like some advice before I burn my house down...

I'd like to insulate my hot water heater (electric).

I noticed that the hot water heater insulation kits are fiberglass insulation with a plastic backing on 1 side. They have an R-value of 6.5. I then looked in the insulation dept, and saw that regular insulation has a much higher (up to 25?) R-value.

Is it OK to use the higher R-value house insulation on my heater? Or will it get too hot (hard to imagine), or is it flammable or something?

Will the higher R-value save me that much more $$?

I'll ask in other forums as well.

Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-01, 05:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Leu,
Although I just never have put one of the water heater insulation kits on my water heater, everything that I've read tells me that they are safe and energy-efficient.
Do it if you want to.
Insulation always pays for itself, no matter where it is.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-15-01, 07:09 PM
Insulman
Visiting Guest
you only want to use the insualtion designed for hot water heaters...regular insulation has a kraft paper attaced to it on the outside which is extremely flammable.. all Kraft paper insulation has tar on one side which actually adheres the paper to the fiberglass batt..

If you read the package on kraft faced insualtion it should say that it needs to be coverd with either drywall or some other product which will give it a one hour fire rating.. meaning it takes the drywall and hour to burn prior to igniting the kraft paper in a fire...

since your hotwater heater has a flame burning under it I think you can see the problem..... If you want more insulation perhaps you can either place unfaced insualtion on the heater first before wrapping it with the fiberglass insulation designed for hot water heaters ..although I dont thing it would be necessary..

good luck

Jim

Old 05-16-01, 05:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Thenks very much! Although my heater is electric (no flame), I still don't want to create a tinderbox. I'll go with the official hot water heater insulation.

Thanks again!