Leak base of basin pedestal

Old 05-23-18, 11:24 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Leak base of basin pedestal

I have a very small amount of water coming from the front of the base of the pedestal under the bathroom basin. It only happened when I used the shower which is over the bath, next to the basin. After I dried it up it didn't happen again and all the pipes were dry until I used the shower again. Is this likely to be a big job or is it OK to leave it, as it dries very quickly. Any thoughts on what could be causing it would be welcome. I had a plumber look at it but, as I hadn't realised that it only happened after I used the shower, he couldn't find anything wrong.

Old 05-24-18, 10:30 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Since it only happens when you run the shower, you eliminated the possibility of supply pipes leaking. That leaves either a drain leak, or bad/deteriorated caulking in or around the shower.

Most likely, the caulking at the edges of the shower degrade over time and allow the hard spray of the shower to leak down into the flooring. You may be seeing where those leaks are reappearing.

Take a look at all the edges where the shower meets the walls, flooring, etc to see if some caulk needs to be repaired. Some pictures might help if you can't find any issues.

Old 05-28-18, 01:06 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you. Sod's law, it hasn't happened again so I'll just keep my fingers crossed!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: