gurgling noises & running toilets

Old 05-15-01, 04:12 PM
Visiting Guest
Please Help!

Sometimes when I start running water in any of the sinks, the toilet asks for more water. Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Also, my kitchen sink needs to be plunged alot (biweekly) and makes a gurgling noise everytime I shut the water off to it. I have a diswasher, but have no problems with the kitchen sink when it is running. I have had plumbers here and have had the main drain cleaned and the kitchen sink snaked. They said there was no clog in the vent. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-01, 05:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The gurgling noise is characteristic of a plugged vent. How did they know there was no clog in the vent? Did they go on the roof to check it?

If not, I would get up there and check it. Remove any debris, leaves, branches, bird's nests, etc. and run a garden hose with a high pressure nozzle down the vent.

Let us know what you find.

Old 05-16-01, 01:18 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for responding. Plumbers have been up on the roof and have checked the vent, told me there was nothing wrong. Do you think it could be something else? Thanks for your help!!

Old 05-16-01, 02:38 PM
I am not a plumber, so we probably need to wait for Ron (Plumber 2000) to come along for some help.

Old 05-16-01, 02:42 PM
Gurgling sounds indicate lack of air to the plumbing system, how many vents is there on your roof, and what is there sizes?

Old 05-16-01, 02:53 PM
Sometimes when the rubber flap at the top of your garbage disposal gets old it starts to get stiff. When it gets stiff water drops from the sink to the disposal more slowly and sometimes it creates a bubbling noise as air in the disposal and the water change places. Check the rubber skirt at the bottom of the sink, if it is stiff replace it.

just a hunch,

pauly

Old 05-16-01, 03:03 PM
Good hunch Pauly,

Speaking of those rubber disposal gards, I once went on a disposal call, on the phone the lady said each time she turns on the disposal water flies all over the place, I show up and sure enough there was no guard in it.

The rubber guard plays a role, and it's not there just to remind you not to be putting your hand in there when it's running.

I have seen many stiff rubber guards, and it will spit bubbles back at you if the water can't enter the disposal fast enough.

Old 05-16-01, 03:12 PM
Thanks ron,

Linda-

'The toilet asks for more water'. Do you mean that you get a bubbling sound from the bowl of the toilet or that the ballcock assembly inside the tank turns on and the toilet fills with more water? An important distinction.

If the toilet is bubbling that might be a sign that the sewer line to the house is backing up. As the pipe under the toilet fills with water, it eventually forces the air under the toilet to bubble back up through the bowl. Run a lot of water and see if the lower drains start to flood or if the toilet starts to overfill. If so then you need rooter guy help.

Old 05-16-01, 04:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
Otherwise, if the tank refill mechanism is kicking on, you most likely need to replace the rubber flapper in the toilet tank. The fact that it comes on when you run the sink is just coincidence (the slight drop in water pressure might be enough to let the valve open if it's on the edge of it's operating point).