Slow Drain/Backing into Tub

Old 07-03-18, 07:14 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slow Drain/Backing into Tub

I have a slow drain, everything works great until it doesn't. Example: I wake in the morning and take my morning "break" the toilet runs great and will do so until I wash dishes after lunch. The sink drains very slowly and the toilet will no longer flush. If I plunge the toilet it comes up in the tub. It will all drain eventually, but takes a long time. Throughout the day, I can hear a "gulping" noise in the drains. I had a plumber come out and he checked and removed the roots that were clogging the main line. He said it was all clear, but I am still having issues. I don't want to call the plumber again unless I have absolutely no choice. Is there anything else it could be?

FYI: it is an older house, no upstairs, one bathroom, I do not have a washer or dishwasher. We stopped flushing toilet paper and I don't dump food/grease down the drain when I wash the dishes.

Old 07-03-18, 07:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 997 Votes on 908 Posts
If you had roots in your lines once, it's a pretty safe bet that there are more. Once roots get into lines they usually will force the pipe open and cause a small leak, which leads to more and more root problems.

You can look into a foaming root killer, one diy alternative. But that won't remove roots that are blocking the line. He will need to come out and clean the line again.

In the grand scheme of things, you can either call the plumber every time there are problems, or save up for the day you have him bring a trencher over so that he can completely replace the lines.

Old 07-03-18, 07:27 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'll look into the root killer, but he was here last week, so I don't think they could have grown back that fast.

Old 07-03-18, 07:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 997 Votes on 908 Posts
I would call him back soon... and let him know he didn't get them all and that you still have the same problem. "He said its all clear"... well its clearly NOT. No point paying him for something that isn't fixed!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: