pressurized pipes for shower - not in use

Old 07-10-18, 07:16 PM
pressurized pipes for shower - not in use

Hello,

Quick question. I have a two bathroom home with showers in both. My wife and I always use the same shower. We probably haven't' used the other shower for about 7 or 8 years. I was just wondering if this has any effects on the pipes? Does it hurt to for pressurized pipes to have no release for so long? Should I be opening it up every once in a while?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-18, 07:49 PM
Group Moderator
No, they are made to hold pressure. Plus, the entire system pressure will change as water is used elsewhere.

The only thing I would suggest is to pour water down the drain. An unused shower will cause a trap to dry out and sewer gas can back up into the home making a stink. Of course, you can use the shower to do this.

Old 07-10-18, 08:15 PM
Thanks Ironhand. Will do. Hopefully the trap hasn't dried out by now.

Old 07-11-18, 11:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not a big deal if the trap did dry out. If it was an issue, you'd smell it

I would also probably turn on the shower once or twice a year. The rubber washers in the valves will dry out if not used. While not a huge issue, it will make it harder to use the shower in the future. By using it occasionally, you're keeping everything working.

But certainly nothing to worry about.

Old 07-12-18, 03:27 AM
Ironhead, about the rubber washers you talked about that could dry out. Are you talking about the washers in the handles?

I replaced these in the other shower when I had a drippy faucet. I'm assuming that is what you mean.

Old 07-12-18, 04:25 AM
Super Moderator
There is a small concern about dead legs in a plumbing system.
Presumably you are on a municipal water system and have chlorinated water.

Water that sits stationary in a line for a long time will loose its ability to remain disinfected.
It is possible for some bacteria to accumulate in these dead legs, more so if your water is heated to a temperature of 125 deg F or lower.
It would be a good idea to run both the hot and cold water in these lines on a regular basis.
It will keep your whole water system clean and safe.

Old 07-16-18, 11:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
about the rubber washers you talked about that could dry out. Are you talking about the washers in the handles?
Yes, depending on the quality and composition of those washers, if they aren't used, they can dry out and either become drippy, or after decades, crack and require replacement.

Exercising them occasionally will likely help keep them working as expected.