Connecting pex propex vs copper rings

Old 07-15-18, 06:08 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Connecting pex propex vs copper rings

I have to make a few connections in a bath remodel. Most of the house is plumbed with propex with plastic fittings.

Would you recommend sticking with the propex. If so would you go with brass or plastic fittings?

​​​​​​The downfall on this is I would be investing in the expensive millwake tool, but again whats a few hundred more to do it right and would still be cheaper than hiring a plumber.

My other option is copper rings on brass fittings (watts)
These just down seem as leak proof to me, but again I am just a DIY and have little knowledge of these.

Lastly is the zurn cinch rings.

Thanks for the advice.

Last edited by hammerdown22; 07-15-18 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-15-18, 09:21 PM
A
Stick with the pen and see if you can rent the tool you need to make the connections. Plastic fittings are fine. Good luck

Old 07-16-18, 05:31 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
I would get the brass fittings and copper rings or the cinch rings. The crimping tool for either method is less expensive than the ProPex. The one benefit of cinch rings is that one tool can do different sizes of piping. If you go with the crimp rings you need a tool that can crimp multiple sizes or you need multiple tools.

Old 07-16-18, 10:16 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I usually advocate keeping the same plumbing method... but in this case, I don't see any real difference using crimp rings where needed. While the tool is a bit pricey (though not compared to the ProPex), it is a one-time expense.

Old 07-17-18, 06:17 AM
H
The piping is currently uponor aquapex. Can I use cinch or copper rings on this type of pipe? Or do I specifically have to use the uponor expansion fittings with this?

Are cinch or crimp ring connections any weaker than propex expansion connections? (Home Depot/Lowe's fittings and rings satisfactory or should I order from plumbing supply).

Thank again I appreciate the feedback.

Old 07-18-18, 10:00 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Are cinch or crimp ring connections any weaker than propex expansion connections? (Home Depot/Lowe's fittings and rings satisfactory or should I order from plumbing supply).
I don't see any difference between the crimp rings sold locally and those from plumbing supply houses.

Unfortunately I don't know about the aquapex and whether crimp rings can be used. I'd imagine so, but I'm not well enough versed in that system to confirm for sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: