Bathtub faucet: fittings don't fit fully - is that normal ?

Old 07-21-18, 10:18 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathtub faucet: fittings don't fit fully - is that normal ?

HI ,

I have Moen shower Tube valve I am trying to connect the valve port with the cold and hot water pipe , the question the connection between the valve port and connector is not go inside fully in spite using the same size 1/2 inch and tried with the tools but still didn't go fully , is that normal ?
BTW I am using Shark Bite connector , the included photo -attached -explain my problem clearly ,
I appreciate your help on this

Attached Images  
Old 07-21-18, 10:21 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,478 Upvotes on 3,123 Posts
There are NPT (pipe threads) on the valve and the fittings. That means they are tapered fittings and tighten as they are turned in. They do not usually bottom out. You also need to use pipe compound or teflon tape on those fittings.

Old 07-21-18, 01:32 PM
Received 674 Upvotes on 597 Posts
Pipe fittings (MPT or FPT) use and interference fit The more you tighten the greater the interference until such time that not even water can seep through. And as Pete says you must use dope or TFE tape. That will help lubricate the threads and seal it. Will that Sharkbite be behind wallboard? Even though it's coded as being able to use behind wall board, I would not feel comfortable. There have been reports of failure. Use a solder joint when access is not available.

Old 07-21-18, 08:26 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I do a lot of work on my own car, but sometimes I realize that I need to take it to a mechanic.

Old 07-22-18, 05:29 AM
N
Thanks , I have just tried , and squeezed as much as I can using Teflon tape, and works perfectly!

Old 07-22-18, 05:33 AM
N
replying to Norm201 :, I am using SharkBite behind the wall , and unfortunately I have already set it up before seeing your reply , and not sure if I have really to undo my work and start again with the solder joint !

Old 07-22-18, 05:59 AM
Most likely you'll be OK. But looking at your picture why can't you pull that Sharkbite and put in a copper solder joint?

Old 07-22-18, 06:24 AM
N
unfortunately , I have no experience on solder , and didn't want to have a risk on doing those behind the wall as the first time!

Old 07-22-18, 07:28 AM
Copper soldering is very easy. Now would be good time to practice and learn. Get a couple of 1/2 copper pipe pieces and a few fittings. Using emery paper or a spark plug brush clean both outside of pipe and inside of fitting. Immediately slather a bit of flux to the surfaces. Insert into each other. Using the propane (or MAPP gas) torch get the fitting to not quite cherry red (a little too hot is better than not hot enough), enough for the solder to flow into the fitting. Apply solder and you will see it flow into the fitting. You don't need much. But beginners tend to to over apply and you will tend to have drips and wasted solder. Not a problem. Do not touch or quench. Let it cool down by itself. When it cools you can wipe it clean with a wet rag. There are several other tricks of the trade that you can learn from YouTube or experience.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: