Outdoor/garage water faucet leaking

Old 05-18-01, 12:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Red face

HELP! I have a problem that I am hoping someone can tell me how to fix. I have a water spout for the outdoors in our townhome garage. It has a black cap on it that is currently leaking. It has the knob you turn right behind this cap, I forgot what and why that cap is there, but the seal is not holding and it is like a fountain in the garage. It is located right about the faucet part where you hook the yard hose too. Can this be fised or does the faucet have to be totally replaced? It started doing this after Stanley Steamer hooked their hose to it. Any help would be appreciated. (I contacted Stanley Steamer and they said that since it happened last year, they cannot be sure it was their equipment that did it. I told them they were they only ones that used that spout, but did no good.)

Thank you.

Old 05-18-01, 01:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Not worth trying to repair it, and it would probably take too long to find or order and get the parts, anyway.
Just replace it. Not expensive.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 05-18-01, 09:34 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
That cap (if it's on the hose threads) was probably put there when the bib washer wore to the point that the faucet couldn't be turned off fully, and the fixit person couldn't figure out how to affect a real repair, so they capped it off. The only thing the Stanley guys might have done, is lost the little rubber ring that's supposed to be in the cap so that it seals.

It's much easier to just replace the darned thing (as long as someone didn't get gung-ho and solder the bib onto the end of the pipe). An hose bib is about 5-15 dollars.

Old 05-19-01, 09:11 AM
P
All this hose bib may need is a new washer.. I would first try to replace that rather than redo the pipe work. Some pipe work goes through concrete or into crawlspaces and can be a pain in the arse. Shut off the water supply to the garage or to the whole house if you need to. unscrew the hex shaped nut beneath the handle and remove the stem by rotating the handle counterclockwise. Inspect the rubber washer. It is most likely damaged or missing, replace it with a similar size. Take the old one to the hardware store with you if you need to. Also be sure to inspect the seat. The seat is the round brass ring inside the body of the hose bib that presses against the washer to stop the water. If the seat is pitted, cracked or uneven in anyway you will need to replace the entire hose bib. It sounds like this black cap that you are describing is different from the spout where the water comes out. I was unsure from your description. If the cap is on the top of the spout then it is most likely a vaccumm breaker, a safety valve that keeps dirty water being sucked back into the clean water supply during certain conditions. If the hose bib water shuts off completely but shoots water out of the vaccumm breaker during use then you will need to replace the whole damn thing.

Old 05-24-01, 09:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Thank you for all your help

It is the antisiphon valve that is right before the knob that turns it on. I took the black plastic cap off but the part that is in the faucet is brass. The one I got from Home Depot is plastic and smaller. I am bad, I hit it with the hammer (cause I couldn't get it unscrewed) to see if I could loosen it. It seems to not leak now but if I put the sprinkler temporary on off switch to the off position, it leaks into the garage. Now do I need to cut into the drywall and cut the faucet off. I am not sure with being a female, I want to do that on my own......

Thanks again guys!

Old 05-24-01, 03:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
Unless you managed to break the fitting that it screws onto, the hose bib should be threaded onto or into a pipe or coupling. Unless someone got gung-ho and soldered the bib onto the pipe. You should be able to screw it off and screw a new one on. You may need to get at the back side, just to hold onto the pipe so that it doesn't twist the pipe and not the bib.

Old 05-24-01, 04:28 PM
Before you attempt to fix this yourself, make sure you do this on a weekday, and not on a weekend or a holiday, reason being is you want to beable to get ahold of a plumber of something bad happens.

Plumbers charge more if not during the weekdays.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: