Removing old galvanized drain pipe


Old 05-19-01, 09:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I'm remodelling my bathroom and need to remove the plumbing used for drainange as we want to reposition the toilet, shower, etc.
The galvanized drain from the toilet is approx 4" in diameter. Other drainage pipes, including the stand pipe, are also galvanized and approx 2.5" in diameter.

What tools will I need to do this?

Also I want to re-plumb using PVC piping. Is it possible to attach PVC piping to the galvinised outlet pipe?

[Edited by stimpo on 05-19-01 at 12:54]
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-01, 11:25 AM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,952
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

The drain pipe that you're calling galvanized is actually cast iron, and is connected with fittings sealed with oakum and lead, I'll bet.
You can connect the PVC drainpipe to it with Fernco couplings.
See for general illustrated Plumbing how-to info, and see above under "Build/Remodel" and "Repair/Fix-It" for converting.
Dealing with cast iron pipe (it MUST be properly supported while working with it or it will come crashing down right from the roof) is not easy, but you can do it.
Good Luck!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: