1950 Galvanized-What are my odds

Old 09-16-18, 03:17 PM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
1950 Galvanized-What are my odds

Need to replace some angle stops threaded onto galvanized. Some fittings look pretty bad, but moving a couple feet away, the ells look pretty clean. I would like to cut, unscrew and splice in copper with dielectric unions. I started applying penetrating oil Friday to the ells. What are my chances of this 1/2" pipe unscrewing? Should I torch it before trying.

Old 09-16-18, 04:08 PM
Z
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
If you hold the galvanized pipe with a pipe wrench, and grab the angle stop with another wrench, you should be able to spin the angle stop off of the pipe. You shouldnít need to cut anything.

Old 09-17-18, 05:37 AM
H
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
I think the tees behind the angle stops are leaking. It is hard to tell due to all of the corrosion, but if you saw it you would want to replace back to the nearest ells,

Old 09-17-18, 10:45 AM
Z
Received 38 Votes on 37 Posts
Sorry, I thought you just needed to get the angle stop replaced. Iím visualizing the wrong thing. I thought it was a straight pipe (galvanized steel) coming out of the wall with a 90 angle stop connected, like the typical connection for a toilet supply.

If this is galvanized piping without unions I think you will have to do some cutting to get things apart. I donít think there is any way to get the tee off without cutting as you say. I think to get the pipe out of the elbow (or tee) you would hold the elbow with one pipe wrench, and turn the pipe out with another pipe wrench. You could spray some PB Blaster into the joints you want to take apart. I think that stuff works very well. I think you only wait about 5-10 minutes with PB Blaster. That stuff has worked wonders for me.Your pipe is only Ĺ ďso it shouldnít take that much force to get it out, but if the joint is really full of rust that could be a problem.

But if worse comes to worst, the pipe is more than 50 years old and is probably extremely corroded internally and could break when you put some force on it. Thatís probably not likely but thereís some possibly it could happen and then you will have to start replacing a little bit more than you wanted. You could wind up with broken pipe threads stuck in the elbows (or tees) etc. but I think thatís just a problem with old galvanized pipe and you canít do much about it. (I picked up my old galvanized well pipe and it fell apart in my hand.)

But I would try that PB Blaster with 2 pipe wrenches and if that doesnít work, then I would try heat.

(Iím not a pro but have taken quite a few pipes apart. Maybe the pros or guys with a whole lot of experience will jump in.)

Old 09-19-18, 10:22 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 188 Votes on 168 Posts
You'll probably be fine once you get back to the elbow. The galvanized nipple will probably disintegrate as you unscrew it... but you should be able to get it out.

Instead of copper and dielectrics, look into a brass nipple. No dielectric needed. They are more expensive, but easier and quicker.

I would be concerned though of all that galvanized behind the walls. It's most likely nearing the end of its life, and you should consider repiping at some point in the near future. If you're doing some reno work now, maybe now is a good time to pull some new PEX (or copper).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: