Tapping Water Heater Supply and Discharge

Old 09-19-18, 12:49 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Tapping Water Heater Supply and Discharge

I would like to install an outdoor shower off the back of my garage. My water heater is located in the garage not far from where I would like to install the shower. My plan is to tap into the water heaters cold water supply and the hot water discharge just after it leaves the water heater. I am thinking I will tap into both the 3/4 inch copper lines with a Sharkbite Slip Repair Tee. From the tee I will use 1/2 PEX to a shutoff valve then 1/2 PEX the 10ft or so to the shower valve. FYI I live in a climate that I do not have to worry about freezing temperatures. My questions are:

- Is it OK to tap in to the water heaters cold water supply?
- Is it OK to tap in to the water heaters hot water discharge so close to the water heater?
- Are the Sharkbite Slip Repair Tees a good easy choice? (all plumbing will be accessible except the short stretch near the shower valve)
- If I turn off the water supply to the house will that prevent a flood when I tap in to the lines?
- How do I prevent burning myself when tapping into the hot water discharge (Do I need to drain the tank or let it completely cool??

Thank you in advance for any advice, tips or warning?

Adam

Old 09-19-18, 03:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Ok to tap into both water lines. Water will drain from house even with water shut off so be prepared for this. Shark bites are good I like to use them where I can get to if ever a problem but never had one yet.
Turn power off to heater and drain from bottom With water turned off, Don't need to drain tank all the way. Just enough to drain water line to from hot water line to house.

Old 09-19-18, 10:19 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 181 Posts
I would suggest tapping the water heater a bit past where it just comes out. Code prohibits plastic pipe from within 18" of the water heater. The SharkBite connectors will be fine, but you'd be technically against code if you have PEX pipes that close. (There's some disagreement on why code requires that for even electric water heaters... but that's what the UPC says)

Old 09-19-18, 02:07 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I will actually be tapping in several feet from the water heater. So I think that should be all good. Iíll be giving this a try in the next couple weeks and will let you know how it goes. Thanks again!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: