Intermittent Water Banging early in Morning

Old 09-29-18, 05:23 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Intermittent Water Banging early in Morning

Need some help with a water banging problem.
Symptoms:
Btwn 4am and 9am
Only when water is off.

Itís a bang...bang...bang...bang...bang...bang then
pause for roughly a minute and repeat but doesnít
go on all day.

If I shut water off at the main right before the meter t
he noise instantly stops. If I shut it of at the shut off
valve after the meter it is nearly unnoticeable but
can tell it is still ever so slightly occurring.

Yesterday shut off the water at the main valve and
opened all the taps, closed and turned on main.
Next morning noise was reduced but still present
but then came back with a vengeance this morning.

My ddx: bad water main, no air column, high water
pressure.

Thanks and help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-18, 07:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 32 Posts
Do you have a PRV? Expansion tank?

First guess is too-high pressure in your system. I would try adding a pressure gauge to your system and see if you can check it when you start hearing the banging.

Old 09-29-18, 08:38 PM
No and no.

No prv or expansion tank. Thanks for the reply. Itís a bizarre noise. I can usually troubleshoot stuff like this but this one is strange. Iím just shutting the water off at the main before bed. Enough to make someone go crazy.

Old 09-30-18, 12:52 PM
You might check the toilets. If you have a flapper that's seeping, and a loose washer in the fill valve, it'll make a racket.

Old 09-30-18, 04:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 474 Votes on 444 Posts
I've seen some unusual problems caused by neighbors sprinkler systems.
And since it appears to happen at a set period of time..... it makes sense.

Old 10-01-18, 05:26 AM
Pressure is normal.

cheched pressure and itís fine. None of my neighbors have sprinkler systems that I know of. I took some video but have to figure out how to link it. Woke me up around 445am took a shower thinking maybe itís a water heater issue and after running some water for a while it would go away...nope. Thanks. Will call plumber today.

Old 10-01-18, 05:27 AM
What about installing water hammer arrestors? I never used them, but I see them all over when I shop for plumbing supplies online.

Old 10-01-18, 06:11 AM
Took some video

Hereís a riveting video if at all interested. Ií checked the toilet an no problems with a flap or running water. I will have to look into the arrestor. Water hammer is present all the time but that doesnít bother us.

https://youtu.be/r6toOgyGMaM

Old 10-02-18, 03:46 AM
Sounds like someone driving piles.

Old 10-02-18, 11:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 33 Votes on 32 Posts
My next call would be to the water department. I don't know anything in the house that would be causing that kind of banging.

Could be pumps or something in the neighborhood, it really does seem like some mechanical device causing water hammer into the system.

Old 10-04-18, 07:24 AM
Water dept.

Had the water dept out to take a look. He didnít find anything and pressure is at 60. We are a block away from the water tower that feeds our neghibor hood, I guess we are a gravity fed area. He said it sounds like there is some kick back or negative pressure in the system somewhere. Likely sprinklers. None of my neghibors have sprinklers so who knows. For the past three days it has not occurred likely because temps here are into the 50s now. Hopefully it doesnít return but it likely is due to the city side of things. It will return.

Old 10-07-18, 08:31 PM
I had a client with a similar problem. We searched high and low, replaced expansion tanks, toilet guts, added hammer arrestors... Turns out the problem was a woodpecker that would come every morning and hammer on their main vent stack. LoL.

Is it at the same exact time in the morning? That would bely a mechanical cause of some kind, fast acting electric solenoid open/close valves are most common, for water using machinery, sprinkler manifolds...Pressure booster pump start up possibly. If it continues I would add an expansion tank on your cold water system. It would act as a shock absorber for pressure differentials.

If you were going to take another video, put a pressure gauge in the water system somewhere and observe that. I'm curious if the pressure jumps and dips.

Old 10-08-18, 05:50 AM
A woodpecker of all things! Haha. Yeah it hasnít come back for almost a week. Temps are in mid 50s and been getting a lot of rain. If/when it returns Iíll get some video with a pressure Gauge and look into the expansion tank. Itís hard to tell just how long itís been going on with it being so early in the morning as Iím a heavy sleeper but recently has gotten a lot louder, enough to wake us up. Thanks!