Underground gas supply... depth and safety

Old 09-30-18, 04:39 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Underground gas supply... depth and safety

I was pounding 1/2" rebar into ground approx 18" deep with a sledge hammer. I was approx 16" from where i remembered a utility locator marked underground gas a while back. I was doing it with one hand on sledge, not too much force and they went in like butter.

Do you think its possible to severe a gas line (assume plastic as its between street and meter) with 1/2 rebar?

Do you think i would have felt resistence if i came in contact with a pipe? Perhaps even confused it with a rock or root?

How deep can i assume the supply is buried?... again its the gas co pipe between street and my meter.

thanks for any insight.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-18, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 745 Votes on 700 Posts
Yes.... you could rupture a gas line with rebar especially if it was plastic and if it was plastic you'd feel nothing. If the meter is inside...... you can measure how far down it goes out thru the foundation. If your meter is outside..... it would be a guess. I'd think it would be several feet deep though.

Old 09-30-18, 05:46 PM
R
I live in old area... meters are outside... but we got new meters about 10 years ago. It looks like the riser is plastic maybe... there is a tracer wire... does that suggest the whole thing is plastic?

Is 16" away from locator mark a safe tolerance?

pounded them in 18" at most.....tapped them in actually with one hand and large sledge... with no feeling of resistance whatsoever.

Old 09-30-18, 07:32 PM
Group Moderator
I think if you ruptured the line you'd know by now.

Old 10-01-18, 09:20 AM
Received 62 Votes on 53 Posts
Is 16" away from locator mark a safe tolerance?

If the locator marks are gone there is no truly safe distance, I would have had the lines located again before driving the rebar.

there is a tracer wire... does that suggest the whole thing is plastic?

You got it! Plastic lines require a tracer wire if they are to ever be located electronically.

Old 10-01-18, 10:57 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Many years ago I was digging a hole for some rhubarb and there was the plastic line, I doubt it was 2' down.

Few years ago I had a chain link fence put in and they couldn't put a pole within 2' of that line.

If your grass dies around that spot it could be gas. I'd have the gas company come and check to be on the safe side.

Old 10-04-18, 04:41 PM
R
Pj said:i think if you ruptured the line you'd know by now

How would i know... besides KLABOOEY! ?

the tolerance zone is 24" i was driving them in right at 24"!

a few months ago i had a guy putting in some fence posts, it was clearly marked for him but he was withen that tolerance zone with a large gas powered auger.... if he hit the line i assume an auger would completely sever the line and i would not have service??? .... or would it be KABLOOEY in that case?

Old 10-04-18, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
If you ruptured the line...... you'd be smelling gas in the area of the rupture.