Help before I start digging - is this service pipe new or old?

Old 10-03-18, 01:22 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help before I start digging - is this service pipe new or old?

Local Water Co installed new meter pit and meter in front yard. ( Old meter is inside house ) First billing came from new meter and usage is now "triple" what it was. Meter inside house does not agree with new meter outside house ( I have been reading and monitoring since end of July. Called Water Co - they came out and had contractor dig up ( potholed down to the connection point where service line transitions from the poly line to where my copper service line starts - just outside the new meter pit ) Contractor claims the service line is leaking from somewhere upstream of where the connection was made and is not leaking from anywhere near where connection was made. They submitted picture of this connection and I would like comments on this connection as it does not look like what they are claiming is my service line ( copper line connection ) is a 50-60 year old pipe to me. The pipe looks "new" to me. Is this actually "my" service line connection - or an "extension" that they installed and they are not digging far enough to expose my actual 55-60 yr old copper line connect point.

Attached Images  
Old 10-03-18, 04:02 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 967 Votes on 888 Posts
The picture almost looks Photoshopped. I downloaded it and it's been cropped and the metadata stripped. So someone has tinkered with it. Unless you took the photo yourself I would seriously doubt or question if it's of your water line.

Do you have a water shutoff inside your home where the main enters? If yes then close the valve so no water enters your home. Go out and read the new meter. Then read it in half an hour and see if it's changed.

Old 10-03-18, 04:07 PM
T
I had to photoshop the picture to make it upload able.

We did the shut off at inside meter and the outside meter can be seen moving every 30 seconds.

Old 10-03-18, 04:10 PM
T
Just looking for opinion on the "copper pipe" as my house was built in 1959 and my service line from the street to the house would be 58 years old. The pipe I see looks so "new'

Old 10-03-18, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,611 Votes on 1,483 Posts
That does not look like new copper. Yes it has a lovely copper color to it but it's too rough to be new.
It almost looks like it was spray painted copper color.

Old 10-04-18, 05:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 967 Votes on 888 Posts
Something is off. Everything in that photo appears too perfect. The copper's texture indicates old but it's color is pristine. Not even a fresh scratch or tarnished finger print. The same goes for the brass fitting. I've never seen anything look like that especially after being installed in a dirty hole. Maybe it's just the very close cropping as it appears like the tip of a boot in the photo.

But, if the shutoff in the house is closed and the meter at the street is showing flow there is probably a leak somewhere between the two.

Old 10-04-18, 10:10 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 181 Posts
I agree with the others, that fitting is pristine while inches away from mud. Doing plumbing in a basement - my fittings are more dirty than that one!

If you see the meter moving, there's definitely a leak somewhere. Presuming it's always moving up. (there's often some up and down movement of the little spinner when water is used elsewhere in the system).

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: