Does winterizing rust galvanized pipes?

Old 10-21-18, 02:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does winterizing rust galvanized pipes?

Last year I winterized very old galvanized pipes and in the spring the water ran rust colored when I opened the taps. Should I fill the pipes with anti freeze to reduce air contact? Or am I just losing my mind?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-18, 03:40 PM
Received 69 Votes on 62 Posts
Rust occurs when Iron, Oxygen and Water combine but do you get more when pipes are drained or filled???

I dont think it's anything I would loose any sleep over trying to resolve, it will all flush out!

Old 10-21-18, 04:39 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Was propylene glycol used to winterize those pipes ?

If so, it probably dissolved years and years worth of mineral deposits on the inside of the pipes.

As a Real Estate Broker, I once sold a house where the Heating Contractor (for a fee of over $500) had fillled the baseboard loop with propylene glycol as well as all of the pipes comprising the potable water supply distribution system.

When it came time to take a water sample for a potability test, I had to run the cold water continuously for about three (3) days in order to obtain a clear sample that the laboratory would accept. Up until the third day, the water looked like chocolate milk . . . . and the testing services here won't accept anything except a "clear" water sample for testing.

Old 10-21-18, 04:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Unless it's as bad as Vermont mentioned, usually whenever pipes are turned on/off, it tends to dislodge old crud in the pipes. As long as running for a few minutes clears it out, I wouldn't worry much about it.