shallow well

Old 05-22-01, 02:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a shallow well in my back yard. It was there when we moved in. The pump is 3/4 and I have a tank for it. My problem is that we have to prime the pump when the water has not been in use for some time. Works great as long as the water is running. It is used to fill swimming pool and water the lawn. The pump and tank are in the garage and the piping from there to the pump runs along the ground for about 25ft flat across the ground a couple of inches below the soil. Dug out the whole line to see for leak in line but no joy. I don't know if there is a foot valve on the line or not. I do not know much about wells but am learning. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, sue82

Old 05-22-01, 05:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

To prevent losing the prime, install a check valve in the line in the garage near the pump on the suction (well) side.
There should be one somewhere in that line anyway, but it must have failed.
Should solve the problem.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-23-01, 02:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy check valve

Oldguy, thanks for the info but we already tried that too. The pump has a check valve on it and we installed a valve prior to that recently thinking that would work. No joy! It still doesn't stay primed. Any more ideas? Thanks, sue

Old 05-23-01, 03:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

If you have two check valves on the suction side, it shouldn't be on that side, so there is a pressure loss that must be past the last check valve.
There is either a pinhole air leak in the pressure tank bladder or the air pressure is just too low, or there is a dripping hydrant or line allowing the prime to bleed off.
Check the air pressure in the pressure tank bladder with a tire pressure gauge. It should be at, or two psi below, your cut-on pressure (probably 28-30 psi). If the pressure is low, air the bladder up with a biycyle pump, or portable air tank or compressor.
If the bladder won't hold the minimum pressure while running, you need to replace the tank.
Check for drips and leaks everywhere (pool connections, etc.)
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: