Slow Kitchen drain

Old 05-22-01, 07:01 PM
Married only to a house!
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I just posted a question entitled "drain options for new dishwasher installation" and forgot to ask an important question.
My double sink in the kitchen is draining very slow. If the stopper is pulled from one sink it will equalize the water levels in both sinks and slowly drain out. Once one side drains allowing air into its drain the other side will drain quickly. I have dismantled the pipes entirely from both sinks to the main drain and found them to be clean. The only thin I found questionable is the pipe setup. The pipe from the sink farthest from the drain makes a 90 and runs perfectly horizontal to the downspout of the other sink. From there it goes down to the P trap and back into the wall into the main drain pipe. The P trap is lower than the horizontal pipe connecting both sinks.

Is this something which can be corrected?
Would this cause a problem when a disposal and/or a dishwasher is installed? I could see me turning on my disposal or the dishwasher draining and fillin up both sinks!

Thanks again

Old 05-22-01, 09:25 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
My Two Cents Worth

Hello Ray

I am not a plumber but two things you mentioned caught my attention. Therefore, I will add "My Two Cents Worth."

The horizontal drain pipe from the one sink may need to have some additional downwards slant <away from that sink> towards the main drain line. I.E. Lower the connection point at the connecting joint.

The other point you mentioned was air. It could be the air vent on the roof and or it's piping, down into the house to the drain, is restricted.

You mentioned filling up both sinks when the dishwasher pumps out it's water. This is exactly what will happen if the current drain problem isn't corrected.

Old 05-22-01, 10:14 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Housemarried
The only thin I found questionable is the pipe setup. The pipe from the sink farthest from the drain makes a 90 and runs perfectly horizontal to the downspout of the other sink. From there it goes down to the P trap and back into the wall into the main drain pipe. The P trap is lower than the horizontal pipe connecting both sinks.

Is this something which can be corrected?
Would this cause a problem when a disposal and/or a dishwasher is installed? I could see me turning on my disposal or the dishwasher draining and fillin up both sinks!

Thanks again
First, you need a Y branch in your tailpiece, so the sink furthest from the drain goes downhill. However, the P trap should be lower that the horizontal pipe connecting both sinks.

See the diagram below for piping options when adding a dishwasher.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: