what tools for pex

Old 12-12-18, 06:49 AM
F
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
what tools for pex

my son has pex plumbing in his house and I am not familiar with how to work with it. it is half inch and three quarter. what tools does it take to remove old fittings and replace with new ones. disconnect and old crimped fitting from and shutoff and crimp on a new line. thanks

frank

Old 12-12-18, 07:23 AM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
If there crimped I use my Dremel tool with a cut off wheel to carefully cut the band, making sure to not cut into the PEX.
I bought the special cutters for doing it and never could get it to work.

Old 12-12-18, 07:26 AM
M
Received 27 Upvotes on 21 Posts
As mentioned, they make a special removal tool to remove the crimp rings, but they can also be cut off by other means. You can also just cut the pipe and install a new section. You'll need a pair of pipe cutters and crimpers to start. There are two types of crimp rings, which will determine what type of crimp tool you'll need. If not experienced plumbing with Pex, then I'd recommend getting a ring gauge as well to check your crimps.

Old 12-12-18, 08:51 AM
F
does menards or lowes have these tools? is there one of the two kind that are better than the other? does it take a special pipe cutter?

Old 12-12-18, 09:12 AM
M
I know Lowe's and Depot carry them. I can't comment as to which type of crimp ring is better than the other. There is a special type of pipe cutter for PVC, Pex, etc. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6466-P.../dp/B000NY4THS

Here is a great resource that should answer all of your questions: https://www.pexuniverse.com/types-of-pex-fittings

Old 12-12-18, 09:17 AM
M
Excerpt from that site regarding the two connecting methods:

Q: Which is better – clamp or crimp method?
A: We sell about an equal amount of crimp rings and cinch clamps. Clamps are growing in popularity since they are easier to install and the PEX cinch tool is more compact then the crimp one, allowing to make connection in less accessible locations. In addition, cinch tool is universal and works with all clamp sizes, whereas crimp method requires a separate tool (or a change or tool jaws) for every PEX tubing size. However, crimp method offers a somewhat more uniform and easily gauge-able connection, and has decades of proven performance, which makes is a popular choice among professionals and DIY’ers alike.
Sounds like the clamp style is the more popular of the two.

Old 12-12-18, 09:54 AM
F
thanks for the url on the pex fittings. looks like the crimp or clamp might be the way to go. I already have a pipe cutter like that for pvc. now to find out which crimp tool is good. thanks guys

frank

Old 12-12-18, 09:59 AM
M
looks like the crimp or clamp might be the way to go.
Those are your only two options. The clamp method seems to be the most convenient and only requires one tool.

Old 12-12-18, 10:18 AM
F
sorry for the mixup. clamps seem to be the way to go.

Old 12-12-18, 07:46 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
My experience has been completely with the crimp rings, which work great. So I can't really say which is better.

Either way you go, you should get a 'Go/no-go' gauge. This is a little metal piece that you put over the crimp/cinch ring every 5-10 crimps to be sure that you're crimping sufficiently. Sometimes the tool can get out of whack, and not crimp/cinch 100% correctly. It's rare to happen, but something you'd rather catch as you're making the connections instead of a few years down the road.

Old 12-13-18, 03:35 AM
F
is that what it is called a go/nogo gauge?

Old 12-13-18, 09:40 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Go - No/Go gauge:

Many different companies make them, but they all work the same.

Old 12-13-18, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Go with the copper crimp rings. Dont use the cinch steel ones.

Get a tight spot too. it pulls back and jaws open better.

Get the ring removal tool. It works best. dont waste time with dremmel.

What type system does he have now??

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...BoCKJEQAvD_BwE

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-1...ter/1000400523

Now I got these and cost me about 80 bucks each.. I know there are cheaper versions. but I don't usually buy cheap when it comes to tools.

https://www.ferguson.com/product/sio...RoC7pQQAvD_BwE

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: