Running CSST gas line to stove

Old 01-10-19, 03:47 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Running CSST gas line to stove

I’m doing the same thing and I’m looking for advice where to hook the gas line in, to feed the new stove.The stove installation manual recommends upsizing the supply pipe a quarter inch above the inlet pipe of the unit. So I’m going to run 1 inch CSST up through the floor to a shut off valve behind the stove. In the crawlspace I have 1 inch black pipe coming through the wall from the meter. It goes about 10 feet where it goes into a T. At this point it reduces to 3/4” for both legs. One leg goes about 20 feet to the gas furnace and the other leg goes about a similar distance to the water heater. The vertical pipe to the stove come close to the middle of the leg that goes to the furnace. I can get exact length measurements if you need them. One other challenge to the decision making process here is that it appears that somebody, before we bought the house, installed galvanized pipe along with black pipe for the gas line in part of the runs. While I’m doing the install, should I just replace all of the pipe and put new CSST and so that I can do away with all of the galvanized? Doing this would also eliminate some challenge with unhooking the line at the nearest union and working backwards till I get to where I can tie in. It would make quite a bit more work though. Of course my wife wants it installed and the new countertops in before the party she is throwing.
One other question is where to put the drip leg/sediment trap(s)?

thanks for the input!

Craig

Last edited by PJmax; 01-10-19 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Started new thread
Old 01-13-19, 05:11 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
No need to use 1" CSST to the range, 3/4" would be fine for a 20-30' run, it's already upsized from the 1/2" connection. (Unless you have some huge pro-type range).

You'll use a termination flange in the floor to transition from CSST to the shutoff above the floor. You don't want to have CSST above the floor.

It's up to you how much of the old piping you'll want to replace, I would lean towards not replacing perfectly working piping... but it's up to you.

Don't forget that your gas pipe now needs to be bonded (grounded) on either part of the black pipe, or one of the brass connectors (not to the flex pipe).

Old 01-14-19, 09:49 AM
T
Update on running CSST has line to stove

I have drawn out a simplified version of the current layout with the proposed additions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v11o9u3r12...ayout.JPG?dl=0

We did get a huge pro-style range. It’s bigger than we really wanted but the price was too good to pass up. It’s 48” with 8 burners and 2 ovens. I couldnt find anything in the manufacturers literature about the total BTUs so I added up the BTU ratings for each burner and oven and if I did it correctly, it’s 191,000 BTU. Bigger than our furnace! I attempted to look up the chart to see what pipe sizes we need for each leg but I didn’t know how to find the pressure drop so I’m not sure if I am using the correct chart.
Another factor that I’m thinking about is the possible addition of a gas boiler in the new detached workshop I’m currently building, with PEX in floor heating. I haven’t decided yet if I’m goimg to put in electric or gas. The run is 175-200’ from the house depending on where in the building I install the boiler. The one recommended by the PEX supplier is rated 160,000 BTU. If I used the right chart and did the calculations right, including the new range and additional boiler for the detached workshop, I would need a 2” line. This seems awefully large to me. What do you think? My service is 3/4” to the meter and 1” from the meter into the house. I called the gas company and they couldn’t or wouldn’t really discuss any details about costs involved until they send a technician out who will calculate the sizes needed. There isn’t a fee to have them come out so now I’m waiting for the scheduling dept to get a hold of me.

Old 01-17-19, 07:10 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 419 Upvotes on 372 Posts
Taking a quick look at the CSST sizing tables, it looks like you'd need 1.5" CSST out to the workshop.

There are ways to run high pressure NG longer distances, which require smaller piping. Then add a regulator at the workshop. It's not something I've done, so I can't comment on it - but the gas company should be able to help.

Let us know how the discussion goes!

Old 01-17-19, 07:25 PM
T
I had planned on putting PE gas pipe in underground.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Oil-Cree...-150-Ft-SDR-11

I'll keep you posted as I find out more.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: