Kraus Sink - Basket Strainer Installation Question

Old 01-19-19, 04:47 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kraus Sink - Basket Strainer Installation Question

I'm installing a new stainless steel, deep bowl sink made by Kraus. The sink strainer instructions suggest installing the metal drain piece, then a foam ring over the sink. Underneath, there is another rubber gasket with grooves and then the plastic drain piece. The assembly is held together with a screw on top.

Nowhere do the instructions mention plumbers putty. I'm assuming it's not needed with the foam gasket?

Thoughts?

I've attached pic of parts.

Attached Images  
Old 01-19-19, 10:40 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 181 Posts
I would assume the foam ring is in place of the plumber's putty. I haven't installed one like that... but I would follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Worst case would be you'd need to re-install with plumbers putty.

Old 01-19-19, 11:13 AM
Received 372 Votes on 337 Posts
Yes, the foam gasket takes the place of the putty. But personally I would prefer the plumbers putty.

Old 02-02-19, 06:35 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys- another quick question.... there is a slotted screw that holds the basket down (see pic). There wasn’t a special tool included and I can’t seem to find an extra wide flat head screw driver for this (approx 3/4”). Is there another tool I should be using? Anyone know where 8 can get a flat screw driver with a wider head?

Old 02-02-19, 12:18 PM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Wink

The tip of a common automotive type pry bar will have a extra wide flat tip. Any length pry bar from 8" to 24" will do.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: