Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Ratcheting cutter created small non-square break in PVC pipe? Still ok to glue?

Old 01-21-19, 08:50 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I am working on a PVC vent line. I had a very tight space to accomplish a decent cut in a PVC pipe to glue in a PVC fitting. I messed up slightly. The ratcheting cutter that I was using cut the end of the pipe so that now it is not perfectly square and there is also a small break/chip at the end of the pipe.

The pipe still inserts into the fitting so that you cant see the non-square chipped end of the pipe. However, instead of the pipe being able to fully insert 3/4 into the fitting, the non-square chipped end only inserts about 1/2 into the fitting. It is going to be a colossal pain in the ass to redo this because I would have to do some minor framing to start over just to get a good PVC cut.

Soooo, I was just wondering. Am I ok to just glue the non-square chipped end of the PVC pipe into the fitting? While I would like to have a full 3/4 insertion into the fitting, is 1/2 insertion adequate for a vent line?

Old 01-21-19, 08:52 AM
Received 356 Votes on 321 Posts
It's vent line. I think you'll be OK.

Old 01-21-19, 10:15 AM
R
Received 44 Votes on 35 Posts
If you have enough room to re cut the pipe, warm the pipe with a heat gun or hairdryer before making another cut. PVC loves to crack when it's cool or cold with those cutters.

Old 01-22-19, 05:19 AM
B
Received 111 Votes on 97 Posts
Even with non-square and chipped end, the pipe should still insert 3/4 with the joining piece ?at some place on the circumference of the pipe. Where are you measuring 1/2 inch? Can you try squaring the end of the pipe using a hack saw blade or rotary tool with a cut-off blade?

Old 01-22-19, 08:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 902 Votes on 830 Posts
If the chip will be buried well inside the fitting I wouldn't worry about it. Just glue everything together and get on with the project.

Old 01-24-19, 10:41 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks everybody. Im just going to leave the small broken chipped out piece and move on with the glue.

BTW, Ron53! Awesome advice about heating up the PVC pipe for an easier chip-free cut. I did two test pieces, one piece I cut was heated up with a hair dryer. The other test piece I cut with no heat. The ratcheting cutter easily cut through the heated up piece of pipe way way more easily. The non-heated piece of pipe made another tiny little break.

Old 01-24-19, 11:11 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
It's a vent. No worries. Use a PVC cleaner before you glue

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: