drain pipe leak

Old 01-21-19, 09:09 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: st pete florida
Posts: 232
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
drain pipe leak

leak. see pic. the horiz drain pipe going into the wall after the trap in the bathroom is corroded on the bottom. It is corroded on the bottom and all the way thru the pipe up until about 1" from the wall. Closer to the wall, it is still corroded and fells thin on the bottom. It is only a matter of time before it corrodes thru. It is always wet in there. maybe kitchen sink draining water splashes past the common vertical drain pipe and gets the bath horiz wall pipe wet? I dont know and i dont want to call a plumber. Ive owned this house built in 1954 since 1986. This looks like original plumbing. I have done almost all my own plumbing repairs. This one too I have fixed, but it is a temporary patch and Im looking to get ideas how to permanently fix this w/o going into the wall.



Attached Images  
Old 01-21-19, 09:56 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 26,410
Received 1,744 Upvotes on 1,568 Posts
There is likely a collar on the back side (next to the wall) that needs to be loosened and the horizontal pipe gets removed. Change that collar to PVC and replace everything from there up to the sink with new fittings.

If you can't get to the fitting in back then you need to open the wall up. No way around it.
Old 01-21-19, 10:42 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 26,306
Received 1,848 Upvotes on 1,655 Posts
You did not say but I am assuming that you have a galvanized steel pipe protruding from the wall. Unscrew and replace it. It is called a pipe nipple and replacements can be purchased at any plumbing supply store or home center. You can replace it with steel or PVC. PVC will never rust but it can be harder to get it threaded properly if the threads in the female fitting in the wall are corroded.
Old 01-21-19, 10:44 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 26,410
Received 1,744 Upvotes on 1,568 Posts
I'm imagining a thin chrome pipe and a compression fitting. A real photo sure would be better than a drawing.
Old 01-24-19, 09:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 5,874
Received 372 Upvotes on 332 Posts
Yeah, photos would be good.

If it's galvanized piping, it's very possible the pipe has reached the end of its life and corroded through. Probably a pretty easy replacement with PVC, but will require opening up some of the wall. What's above/below?

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: