Terminating a PEX Connection?

Old 01-21-19, 07:10 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Terminating a PEX Connection?

I recently purchase a new construction home that utilizes PEX plumbing - which is completely new to me. If you look at the picture below, this 3-way split (1/2" pipe) on the cold water is going to a toilet, a sink, and the refrigerator.

I would like to completely disconnect the refrigerator line because I am hooking it up to a separate reverse osmosis system. What do I need to do at this 3-way split to properly close it off? Is there some sort of screw-on plug and/or will I need to use some of the blue plumber's dope to ensure a tight seal?

Attached Images  
Old 01-22-19, 04:43 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 829 Posts
It's called a plug and they are available in plastic or brass. Like anything PEX it will require a crimping tool to install it. I don't know of anything that can be done that does not require a crimping tool.

Old 01-22-19, 05:19 AM
W
Received 34 Votes on 31 Posts
There are six different types of pex connections. Yours appears to be the expansion type of connection.

Old 01-22-19, 06:03 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
Pilot's crimped on plug is the solution. I have used them in many situations. Your original plumber used a very expensive expansion tool for connections. Preferred by professionals but too expensive for the average Joe.

Old 01-22-19, 06:31 AM
C
Got it! So what's the recommended method to remove the existing connection (it's the middle one, BTW)?

Do I just cut the ring, then twist/pull on that pipe until it comes off, then expand or crimp a plug on it?

Or do I leave the 3-way connection as is and cut off all but 6" of the refrigerator line and then put a plug on that? Not sure if that would be a code issue.

Thanks!

Old 01-22-19, 08:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 900 Votes on 829 Posts
Turn off the water to the house. Open a faucet to relieve the pressure. Cut the water line to your fridge somewhere out in the open where it's easy to access and work on. I like to leave a good bit of the line attached to the fitting so it's easy to reattach in the future if needed. Slide a crimp ring over the end of the pipe you want to cap. Insert the plug and crimp the ring.

Old 01-22-19, 08:52 AM
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
+1 You don't want to mess with the distribution manifold end.

Old 01-24-19, 09:46 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 198 Votes on 178 Posts
Agreed with Pilot Dane's suggestion. Leave enough 'slack' so if you or someone else want to reconnect it later, you can.

If you don't want to go the crimper route, you can use a Sharkbite cap. Cut the pipe off and push the cap on. Easy peasy!

Old 01-26-19, 03:27 PM
J
Those are expansion fittings, not crimp fittings. They are awesome. You can use crimp fittings on Pex-A, but I’m guessing you don’t already have a crimper and would need to buy one. If you are going to do that, you might as well buy the expansion tool. Manual expander tools will run you about $100 bucks on Amazon. Or if money is no object, Milwaukee and Dewalt make cordless expander tools that run 3 to 4 hundred. They are a blast, but an overkill for something you might never need to use again.

Since you have the creme de la creme of Pex tubing and fittings, you’ll probably want to stay consistent. You can get all Uponer Aquapex supplies you need at supplyhouse.com. Just make sure that you use Pex-A tubing (Uponer Aquapex) with expansion fittings, not Pex-B (what you’ll usually find at the big box store).

Personally, if I wanted the quickest and easiest solution I would just cut the tubing and use a sharkbite plug. If I wanted to go all out and remain consistent with the existing setup, I would cut off the existing expansion rings (gently, with an exacto knife), and replace the 3 prong manifold with a 2 prong manifold, using the same expansion type fittings.

To be ready for future repairs/changes, I would buy a bag of expansion rings, an assortment of expansion fittings, a manual expander, and a bit of extra Uponer Aquapex tubing.

Old 01-26-19, 05:41 PM
J
You could also use a Pex plug, but it would also require use of an expansion tool https://www.supplyhouse.com/Wirsbo-U...-PEX-2248000-p

And just to be clear— you can use crimp connections on Pex-A tubing, but not on expansion fittings. So if you want to do anything at the manifold, you’ll have to use expansion rings. You can’t crimp anything onto that particular manifold.

Old 01-27-19, 06:41 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I would use one of these...a sharkbite stop fitting.https://www.hardwarestore.com/cash-a...-stop-1-2.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: