"shocking" a drilled well


  #1  
Old 05-25-01, 04:47 AM
Guest
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question

good morning experts (and saviors) we are returning to the cottage this weekend and some people have said to "shock" the well water with a gallon of javex or clorox and let the water run for some (?) amount of time. they say this is a regular thing to do after 4 0r 5 months of non-use.
any information on this procedure will be welcome.
thanks again for coming to the rescue. love this site.
dale.
 
  #2  
Old 05-25-01, 05:55 AM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,948
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Dale,
Some people do this if they suspect bacteria have built up in the well itself, which is not uncommmon.
To "decontaminate" your entire water system - well, pump, pressure tank, water heater (make sure power or gas is off to water heater), and water lines - you need to open the top of the well head (usually just a threaded plug) and pour in a gallon or two of pure bleach.
Wrap 2-3 flat turns of teflon tape CLOCKWISE ONLY on the threads of the well plug to seal it, and on the pump prime plug. I assume that you know how to prime your pump.
Close it back up, prime the pump, and run the water through ALL faucets until you smell the bleach water everywhere. Let the bleach water set up 8-12 hours or at least overnight.
Then run all faucets (hot and cold) until you can't smell the bleach in the water. It should all flush out within 15-20 minutes or less.
Viola! Cleaned and safe water system!
Good Luck!
Mike
 
  #3  
Old 05-25-01, 06:04 AM
Guest
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
thanks mike once again you have answered all my questions
dale
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: