Wet vent for shower and washing machine

Old 02-04-19, 06:26 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wet vent for shower and washing machine

I'm building a mother in law house and having it weathered in and then doing the rest myself. It's slab on grade and framing has begun. The contractor ran the pipe under the slab and the shower drain joins the washer drain and then together to the main line out. All of it is two inch (except the main which is four inch). Obviously I can run a vent off of the washing machine but that would be the only vent to the shower.

It seems like the only potential problem would be if you were taking a shower and the washing machine drained at the same time. I think this would be fine if it were a vanity, but I'm not sure about it being the washing machine. The only way to fix it would involve breaking out concrete but I'd rather do it now than later. Of course I'd rather not do it at all.

What do you all say?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-19, 08:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 598 Votes on 552 Posts
We can't see your drain piping or what vent you have. Much depends on where things are located and how far apart they are.

Old 02-04-19, 10:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 642 Votes on 594 Posts
Aren't there any inspections where you live? Because ordinarily it would have all been inspected and approved before the concrete was poured.

I'm not the plumber here nor do I profess to know all the ins and outs of the plumbing code.

But as far as how much water a 2" horizontal branch SHOULD be able to handle... it should only handle a total of 6 dfu. (see https://up.codes/s/drainage-system-sizing)

And according to the UPC, a shower + clothes washer totals 5 dfu. So that part looks okay.

We have no way of knowing if there is a relief / circuit vent on that line, (also under the concrete) which is probably all it would need if it was a long run to the main stack. Adding an individual vent can never hurt... just not sure if its needed. You would think it would have been done right in the first place, so I wouldn't just assume that it was done wrong.

Old 02-04-19, 11:19 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I live in the sticks. No inspections period. It just y's off to each fixture, about a 3 foot run from each (shower and washing machine) to the junction and then about 2.5 feet together to the 4" main. This image is pretty much to scale. Everything is 2 inch except the main. The horizontal distance from the washer to the main is 5 feet. There are no other fixtures in the house than those shown. .

Old 02-04-19, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 642 Votes on 594 Posts
Looks fine to me. If you can add a branch vent to the washer you will certainly have no problems. Just don't know that it's necessary.