Question on adding a sink

Old 03-05-19, 02:31 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question on adding a sink

I'm remodeling a half bath and adding a coffee bar on the other side of the wall from the vanity.. The vanity is being moved 90 degrees so I have to move the drain pipe and supply lines about 6 inches and then the coffee bar sink will be another 20 inches beyond that. I intend to just extend the drain pipe to the new sink and insure I keep proper slope. Anything I need to be concerned about?

The house was built 30 years ago by professional contractor who used a union plumber so I'm sure it is vented properly etc.

Old 03-05-19, 03:16 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
Where is the plumbing vent located? If it's a 1 1/2" drain line the vent can be a maximum of six feet from the trap under the sink.

Old 03-05-19, 03:54 PM
C
That may be an issue. The vanity drain comes out of the wall 5 ft 9 from the exterior wall. I assume the vent is somewhere in there. I have only opened up half of that wall so now I guess I need to open the rest.

What about using an in-line Air Admittance Valve?

Or what if I moved the vent Tee closer to the vanity? I would have to take it up and over to the original vent pipe but then it would be within 6 feet of both sinks.

How close can a vent Tee be to a trap?

Last edited by cardsfan; 03-05-19 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Another thought
Old 03-06-19, 05:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
There is no restriction on how close laterally a vent can be to a fixture. You will need to check with your local inspectors if they will allow the use of an air admittance valve (AAV). My inspectors will only allow it for islands where a traditional vent is impossible. They will not approve it for your convenience if there is any way possible to run a traditional vent.

Old 03-06-19, 05:35 AM
C
After studying up on venting I don't think I have a problem. The 2 sinks are only 20 inches apart and I can feed them both into the one trap at the existing location. To rotate the vanity I have to move one supply line is all but I have to provide supply for new sink anyway.

Would it be OK to put a permanent P trap in the 1/2 drain line in the wall? That is how my washing machine P trap is set up.

Old 03-06-19, 07:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
No, I would NOT put the trap for the sinks in the wall. Sinks are one of the most commonly clogged items and it's really useful to have the trap under the sink where it's easily removed and cleaned.

Old 03-06-19, 01:36 PM
C
I kinda figured that. It's gonna work out anyway. I can have the trap virtually where is was before and Tee in the bar sink.

Thanks for the input.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: