bathroom odor

Old 05-26-01, 12:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Just moved in to Cape Cod house in February..first time homehowner so i'm wondering if there's anything I can do before contacting a plumber....At first whenever we turned on upstairs bathroom shower, a strong sewer smell would begin..We've cleaned the bathroom many times and now it's worse, it's comes and goes at different times....the first floor bathroom is fine....what could be causing it? and is there anything I can do about it? Help!

Old 05-26-01, 01:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

It sounds like you just have a clogged vent pipe.
Water draining through a line (for instance, the shower)will siphon water out of a nearby trap (sink?) to create its own vent, if your vent is clogged, allowing sewer gas to leak back into your bathroom.
Go up on the roof above that bath, and remove all that you can reach at the top of the vent pipe (birdnest? leaves? debris?), and flush the pipe with a waterhose sprayer. You also may have to use a plumber's snake and snake the stack from top to bottom to clear it.
Should solve your problem.
You can go to "Repair/Fix-It" above or to http://www.bhglive.com/homeimp/ for illustrated how-to info about drain/waste/vent stacks.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-27-01, 06:19 PM
plumbguy
Visiting Guest
If your toilet rocks, sewer gas could be seeping in around the flange,also if possible determine if your tub or shower is trapped.also hydraulic jump in the drain line can siphon a trap that is not properly vented.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: